Schools in Tampa>Question Details

ani, Other/Just Looking in Tampa, FL

BEST private school in florida?

Asked by ani, Tampa, FL Mon Aug 20, 2012

We are moving to Tampa, FL. My son is in 1st grade ina private school here in NC. He is 2 grades advanced in english and 1 grade advanced in math. What is the best private school that is rated good? Please help.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Tampa

Answers

6
anandaki’s answer
Dear Ani, just wondering if you moved yet. I am considering the same move and would love to know where you decided to buy/rent a home and what school you chose and why. thank you!
Komal
A great deal depends on your son's personality, interests, and where in the Tampa area you'd like to live. In addition to the other responses, TCS or 'The Cambridge School' just North of Tampa has an extensive International Baccaulaureate program. Berkeley Prep is west of Tampa, Carrollwood Day School is northwest of Tampa, several private schools are in south Tampa. Be careful to find out the class size in the area private schools. It might be much higher than you and your son are used to.

I agree with Alma: perhaps more so in Tampa than in other cities, you should check out the Public Schools, including Charter and Magnet Schools, too. Nine elementary schools with great reputations are: south - Gorrie, Mabry, and Roosevelt, south east - Bevis and Lithia Springs, north - Lutz, and north west - Schwartzkoff, McKitrick, and Deer Park. The middle school field narrows. The ultimate goal is to get into a public IB which many believe is preferable to the local private schools.

Welcome to Tampa!
Julia Thomas
Keller Williams
813.244.5634
Hi
The website greatschools.org is a wonderful tool for researching schools. There are a few other private schools you might want to check out, in addition to the ones mentioned:
Academy of Holy Names
Bayshore Christian
Bell Shoals Baptist
Brandon Academy
Christ the King Catholic
Most Holy Redeemer
St Stephens Catholic

Good luck with your research.
Debbi Tinker, GRI, CDPE, TRC
Keller Williams
Realty Service with Heart
813-263-0932
Berkeley Prep or Admiral Farragut Academy

Also we have "public" International Baccalaureate Programs starting in Kindergarten. I think it's easy to get admitted up until High School when there is very strict competition to gain entry. Many believe the IB program offers superior education than most private schools.

We also have the Accelerated Gifted Program in Public Schools and if your child passes the testing he will be pulled from the normal Math and Science classes and be put together with the other AGP kids and learn much more advanced Math & Science. My daughter did this and she is now attending a High School IB Program. Additionally if your child passes the IB Exams they are given a Bright Futures Scholarship.

Hope this helps.

Alma
Alma Rose Kee PA
Future Home Realty
813.244.9898
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
If you are moving to the South Tampa area, I recommend St. John's Episcopal Day School. It's grades Pre-K through 8th and has 3 separate campuses in the Hyde Park area. My son is in 3rd grade at St. John's and is well advanced in reading and math compared to other schools. Check out stjohnseagles.org for more info. In north Tampa check out carrollwooddayschool.org and also check out berkeleyprep.org.
This should be a good a start. Good luck with the move! Any other questions please don't hesitate to contact me at:
Doug Pierson
Century21 List with Beggins
(813)340-4087
dougpierson@c21be.com
Dear Anithasrikanth2002,

One of my favorite sites when it comes to school ratings is http://www.greatschools.org and if you have an iPhone check out their app which is also a fantastic tool. I love their site, use it often and highly recommend it to my clients who are interested in finding the best schools for their children's education. GreatSchools profiles public, private and charter schools and has a great format for readers to leave comments. Besides their rating system the comment section is the best place to go to get real life feedback from children who attend the schools as well as their parents.

You might also want to check out the Florida Department of Education School accountability reports which are also a wealth of information and can be accessed with this link;

http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp

After doing your homework on-line I always recommend parents visit the school live and in person prior to making any purchasing decisions in that district and if you need assistance let me know as I would be happy to show you around. I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Wish you were coming to Jupiter instead of Tampa!

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com