Schools in Wilsonville>Question Details

Curious, Other/Just Looking in Wilsonville, OR

A new elementary school (not middle/high) is coming very near our neighbourhood - is that a good or a bad thing for the neighbourhood's

Asked by Curious, Wilsonville, OR Fri Feb 19, 2010

desirability? I am a resident of Legend Homes Villebois in Wilsonville, OR. Villebois was expected to get its own elementary school and it was earmarked for a specific location. Recently, the city council has decided that they want to relocate it because the current designated location doesn't have basic amenities/infrastructure set up. The new location is very close to our neighbourhood. I was wondering if this is a good thing or a bad thing for the neighbourhood in terms of desirability? Please note that this is an elementary school (not a middle or a high).

Thanks for any experienced insights.

In general terms I have found it always HELPS to have a school close by. You can only hope the school will develop a good reputation because that will encourage home prices to rise even more.
Thanks for all your feedback. Just wanted to clarify that this new school location could be less than half an mile
from our neighbourhood. It appears that an *elementary/grade* school close by is a plus. As far as traffic is
concerned, we do not expect it to become any worse than it was because any new traffic for the new location
would have been there even for the older location.
Hello Curious,

I myself live in Wilsonville and YES this will be a big plus for people within the community as well as for people wanting to move to Wilsonville. Like what has been said previously, people with small children look for location of schools as well as quality. Being within walking distance to a elementary school is a big plus and will be very desirable.

Enjoy the great sun,

Marisa Meigs-Gonzalez GRI, SFR
Principal Broker Oregon First
Having a good school near by is a plus. So many families check out schools when they are looking for a home - so I would think you would be happy about that. I dont know if it will be close enough to you to cause more traffic in your way, but in general - most people are happy new schools are coming in!

Let me say this. The answer is that New Schools especially in a Quality District like West Linn/Wilsonville are a real plus. In Bethany where I live we have 6 Grade Schools. Now they are all good mind you. But the two that are the newest have been a draw for years.

Their physical designs and amenities are just too alluring. They have great academics and we have seen homes in the area sell for more and faster. Now here is the down side.

Traffic! Traffic! Traffic!

A Grade school is the best type of school. They tend to be very quiet on the weekends versus a High School or Middle School. They also provide neighborhood playgrounds and parks.

But in our neighborhood they create traffic.

There is a State Law I believe that says if you child lives within a 1 mile bus ride that there will be no transportation by bus. So that means they have to walk. Then of course few parents in these times will let a small child walk anymore.

So we see a major peak and burst in Traffic in these cases. It is crucial that the school district be prepared to handle this.

Our home a few years back was adjacent to Jacob Wismer. We live there about two years before the school was built. That school hold almost 700 kids. When they built it the school site was at the back of a neighborhood. That meant that all the car trips have to flow through the neighborhood and it is like a race track there in the morning.

We moved. It was that bad.

On the upside it is great to be able to drop off, walk to, and pick up your kids form school. Mom's love that. Dad's too. Less time lost transporting kids.

All and all I would say that Grade Schools, especially new ones, are a plus. I have seen it add as much as 5%. Check out the districts proposal in regards to traffic. That is something you have a right to be actively involved in. Your school district will try and cut costs at every corner but traffic is not one such area that should suffer.

Best wishes and great question!

Dirk Knudsen
Re\max Metro Gold
Web Reference:
Hi Curious,
I looked through the Realtor Multiple Listing database to see if homes "near schools" in the Portland metro area took any longer to sell and they did not appear to stay on the market any longer than the listings that didn't specify being "near schools". The shortest time on the market was 1 day and the longest time was 668 days with the average time on the market to be 140 days. Keep in mind that this search was based on activity in the last 12 months and we have a challenging market to say the least. The average SOLD price was $289,728 with the lowest price being $159,000 and the high was $1,062,500.

It's been my experience that families with young kids look for homes near elementary schools and people with out kids don't search it out but usually don't rule it out either. There are some people that would avoid schools due to traffic and noise concerns but these people have been the exception not the rule, in my professional experience.

On a more personal note, we bought a home near an elementary school in 2008 and our kids are grown. When we were looking for an investment property we bought on the basis of the homes value and the overall neighborhood. In my personal opinion, elementary schools are not something that would keep me from investing in an area. And a newer school indicates and flourishing neighborhood.

I hope that helps. Have an awesome day.
Monamarie McCreary
Capstone Real Estate, Broker
MLS Funding, Home Loan Consultant