Rentals in Philadelphia>Question Details

Brenda Ahmed, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

why is it hard to find a section 8 rental here in Philadelphia when we was told we could find rental all over the city? and how do I find a section 8

Asked by Brenda Ahmed, Philadelphia, PA Tue Aug 27, 2013

I forgot to mention NEVER NEVER NEVER tell the landlord your max rent that your particular case will allow because you must have room for cushion for example let's say the property is advertised at $700 and the landlord ask to see your packet with max rent on it(never let them see) and you let the landlord see it they will change the price to max amount causing your portion of rent to now be higher by the way in most states it is illegal to charge a section 8 tenant more than what a non section 8 tenant would pay.

Also check your local clerk of courts to make sure that the property is not in foreclosure also check your local property tax office to make sure that the property is not behind on taxes. you can also check to see if any cases has been filed in court against the landlord or how many evictions the landlord has filed. You would not like to pay the expense of moving just to have to do it again in a few months because you didn't do your research never trust what someone tells you about a property confirm it for yourself.

may God bless you
First take a deep breath relax and use the internet to do most of the work. First start here that's select your state,city,county etc and begin your search. Second most landlords only have a bad perception of section 8 and doesn't realize the benefits. In this unstable economy section 8 is a guaranteed way to get the largest portion of the rent paid consistently and on time, in other words you must inform prospective Landlords on the benefits of renting to section 8 explain to them that you have more to lose in the situation then they do explain that if you don't follow the rules you risk losing your benefits which would leave you and your family homeless, highlight your positive rental history if none exist highlight the lessons you have learned from not being a good tenant in essence you must reassure the landlord that you will only care for the property and not destroy it. Do not take a entire crew with you to view a place to stay leave kids with a sitter only adults that will be on the lease needs to come . Treat it the same way you would treat a interview be prepared look sharp be enthusiastic and ask informed questions make sure you understand all that is required by the landlord make sure there is good chemistry in the beginning if something puts you off in the beginning such as landlord evades questions (ignore) this may be a red flag that the relationship will fall apart if you rent from this landlord. I know you are on a time limit but make the right choice you can also ask for an extension from your caseworker. To summarize rentals are out there you just have to present yourself as the best candidate.
may GOD bless you.
Hi Brenda,

How many bedrooms is your packet? Also, what area of the city are you looking to live in? I know of a few available units depending on the size of your voucher.

Still waiting for an reply on a rental? if you have asset and knowledge of a few please reply and tell me where?
Flag Sat Aug 31, 2013
I have a voucher for a two bedroom and I'm in the Mt. airy section near shops and transportation that's what I need to be near transit/thank you
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013