Rentals in Deer Park>Question Details

meganlai21, Renter in West Babylon, NY

who is responsible for the broker fee when the landlord hires the broker and you found the listing online not through an agent?

Asked by meganlai21, West Babylon, NY Thu Apr 24, 2014

Found listing online, put in application after seeing home and was chosen by landlord to rent home. Broker only told me about 2 months security never mentioned broker fee and it was not on website either. Now she is saying I am responsible for whole fee the day before we are signing lease.

Answers

3
If there was no mention of a broker fee online where you found the home nor on the application you submitted, then it seems to me that the landlord should pay for the broker fee. That's a cost of owning and renting property. However, I don't know how good a deal the property is or how competitive a rental market you're in. If you have lots of other choices to rent, then you're in a strong negotiating position to refuse to pay the fee. If this is a rental you couldn't easily replace and they've got lots of other applicants, then you might consider a compromise -- offering to pay part of it just to get your foot in the door.
It's not clear from your post wether or not you used a broker. First you say that you found the listiing on line not through an agent. Then you say "Broker only told me about 2 months security."
If you did not hire the broker to find you a rental property, but instead the broker was hired by the Landord, then it is the landlord's responsibility to pay the broker. It could be that the landlord would like you to make your security deposit and first month's rent payable to the broker, but you should get a receipt showing what the payment was for and when it was made.