Rentals in 11238>Question Details

Shelly Willi…, Home Owner in Kips Bay, New York, NY

which is better to do with rental property. Make a two bedroom apartment with each bedroom self contained or make 3 bedrooms with one bath

Asked by Shelly Williams, Kips Bay, New York, NY Sun Apr 15, 2012

i am renovating my rental building in Brooklyn and wondering which will give me more return for my money

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 11238

2br and 1 bath sounds more appealing, unless it is common in this neighborhood.
It's easier to rent a place with 2 roommates, then 3 - usually 2 tenants would be friends, and the 3rd one "extra" - and "extras" don't stay long, which is not good for others who'd need to carry the load for the 3rd person...

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Expert
The nicer you place is the better it will rent. Private bath make the place nicer.

I did some digging around for you and found this Brooklyn Rental Market Report, it's not from my firm, but if you need some help leasing those units please contact us. It shows the market trends from rental rates to unit demand that you'll need to make an informed decision about how best to develop your property. I do hope this helps and best of luck!

In Texas at least, nobody rents 2 bedrooms. Nobody is defined by less than 5% of our market. I would presume that NY has a different perspective since your real estate is so high. We can rent a house apartment for $700 -1000 easy. Younger couples with no kids rent apartments because they like that lifestyle. Older people and families rent houses to avoid the commotion and to have yards for private relaxing.

I would probably do an MLS comp to see what's renting. Only property managers in your area will really know. Probably worth calling one.

Cathy Bureau
Hi Shelly,
In 11238, our experience shows that two-bedroom residences with private bedrooms rent much faster than 3BR's with one bath (our inventory in the area is now, and has been over the years, very extensive).

The former is a layout that would appeal to both a young family, and roommates (the two comprising the majority of the rental client in the area). A 3BR without an additional (at least 1/2) bath tends to sit on the market for at least an additional two weeks - oftentimes leading to a vacancy that extends past the move-in date that the landlord would have preferred.

I hope this helps!

Aleksandra from Ideal Properties Group
Dear Shelly:

It all depends on which part of Brooklyn you are in and who is renting in the area. You need to do a demographic study and see who is coming in to rent based on income and family size (on average) and then make a determination.

If you want you can contact me and I would be glad to help you out, I have been selling homes in Brooklyn for 20 years and I am intimately familiar with the entire borough.

Either way, good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Martin is on the ball. The only other consideration should be a smaller apartment or smaller bedrooms are more difficult to rent out...

Jack Menashe
thanks Martin,

the house is in prospect heights brooklyn. It is a three apartment house that I am looking to renovate. i was thinking of making each floor two self contained bedrooms with living and kitchen, instead of three bedrooms with only one bath on each floor
Hi Shelly,

Thanks for posting on Trulia. There are two things I would look at in changing the layout of rental property? 1). What is the make up of the neighborhood? Is it mostly families? Is it mostly singles? Also, what configuration is in the highest demand for your neighborhood? 2). I would look at the economics of vacancy. More units means less likelihood of a vacancy. You mitigate vacancy risk by having more units. These are off the top of my head, but I would need more information about where the property is located to give you a more accurate answer.

I hope this helps!

Martin Holland
Prudential Douglas Elliman
1996 Broadway, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10023
Office: 212-712-6073