Rentals in Harlem>Question Details

Michelle Kap…, Renter in New York, NY

what's a good price to pay my super if he's going to paint my apartment for me? I just moved in & love my new place but the walls are

Asked by Michelle Kaplan, New York, NY Sun Dec 30, 2012

white. I prefer a tan color for the living room & yellow for my bedroom. I know he's not obligated to change the color but if I buy the paint & supplies myself, how much should I give him to do it for me. It's a 750sqft 1bdrm apt.

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3100991271-126-W-132nd-St-New-Y…

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Harlem

Answers

10
James Kelin McHugh’s answer
Try to get him to agree to $150 and then give him $200 (what its worth) if its done nicely, thus creating a lot of goodwill between you and your new super. Any future requests will probably be happily met.
Hey Michelle,

How are you? Hope your move in went well. My neighbors son is home from school for winter break & he's very trustworthy & industrious. Even though he's an accounting major, he happens to be great at painting. As a college student I'm sure he'll cut you a super steal of a deal. Give me a buzz and I'll connect the two of you.

Looking forward,

Christine Gordon
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Cell: 917.881.2924
Fax: 347.328.9352
Apartment updates available at http://www.christinegordon.postlets.com
"Home is where the heart is."
4 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Chris! You have so many great connections (smile)
Flag Sun Dec 30, 2012
I am not sure if these guys work in NYC or not. lol The best answer is Harolyn's answer. See how much is worth it to you and how much can you afford.

A regular company will charge you upward of $1000.00 specially 2 coats of paints, and cutting, and white trims and moldings and ceiling.

Day laborer as another reader said now is $150, and they work 7-8 hours. 2 bedroom? or 750 square foot, will not get done in 1 day, the least it would take is 3-4 days. So it should really be about $600 labor.

Again if you only can afford $400, tell the supper, if he is happy with $350, if he is not, most likely he should counter you around $500, which is still reasonable.

Also a college student painting is not a bad idea, if they have clue of what they are doing.

I have a management company and I know this first hand.
Hope this helps.
You can email me at Nyhomeowner@gmail.com if you have any other questions.
3-4 days for 750 sq ft? Wow! Emily, do you have an opening for a contractor?! I'm a young woman with business/finance degree but I painted my 3BD (1,700 sq ft) in 2 days with primer and 2 coats, my 400 sq ft studio in 4 hrs with double coat and my 750 sq ft 1BD in 1 day (8-9 hrs)! I'm sure Michelle has found a solution already since she was asking the question a year ago but I just could not resist commenting on your post! I'll definitely contact you if decide on a career change! :)) Thank you and all the best! - Yulia
Flag Fri Oct 4, 2013
New York labor rates tent to be higher than other areas. I think its always best to get a couple of quotes from different contractors. You will than soon learn what is a fare price.

Hi Michelle,

Congratulations on your apartment! He may cut you a good deal but on the other hand may want to charge you a little more just because of the convenience of him being the super. It seems like $200 may be a good price. If you want quality work and a reasonable quote I could refer you to a hard working handy man who will accommodate you and give you the most reasonable price. He has done amazing work on a property I managed at really low prices. If you'd like, contact me and I can refer you to him.
I think for $150 in labor he will laugh at you. The labor goes for about $100 to $150 per room. Welcome to New York labor rates.
At 750sq ft ask if he could do it for $200. That would be a deal. If you live in a doorman building rates would be according. Our super charges $150 to install / drill in A/Cs in our pre-war high rise.
Hi Michelle. You and the super should negotiate the fee. If you guys can agree, go for it!

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson , LSA
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
(631)384-3695
http://cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
http://devontesellsny.wordpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/ISellNY
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 30, 2012
Hi Michelle. This is a tough question to answer without seeing your apartment. :-) My suggestion is to have in mind how much you can/want to pay and ask the super what his rate is. Let him give you a price first, then take it from there. Good luck!
A good price will be probably around 150$. Depends also on details and finishes...

Hope this helps.
Flag Mon Sep 30, 2013