Rentals in 08889>Question Details

sona, Home Owner in Whitehouse Station, NJ

what determines a legal rental property? I hav e 2 houses on my property and was thinking of renting 1

Asked by sona, Whitehouse Station, NJ Mon Jun 4, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 08889

Answers

7
Call the Zoning Officer in your town, that will save you a good deal of time.
Sue where do you need one and how much do you want to spend? Why don't you call me and I will check what is available. 908-310-1113
Once you figure out let me know what you have to rent, in need of place , thank you.
If you have a 2nd home on the property and it is grand-fathered as a rental property the you would be able to. I would think tho it will not be able to have that kind of use. This township does not allow too many properties to have rental incomes on it. If you want to contact me you can email me at yvonneschneider@remax.net and I can help you determine how to handle this situation. Good luck
Generally, a property has to be zoned for multi-family use. However, some properties are "grandfathered in." Depends on what the zoning was when it was built. Some towns you lose your "grandfathered in" status if you go years without renting it.
So, it's best to go to your borough hall and discuss whether or not you can legally rent it out. Then, you will need to at least pass a fire certification for a c/o. Another legal hurdle for you.
Finally, if you are considering becoming a landlord in NJ, you should get yourself a copy of the NJ landlord/tenant handbook. If you would like a copy sent to your email, just contact me via trulia or my website below.
Web Reference: http://dianeglander.com
Hi Sona - Rentals can be a great way to earn extra income, and are also very desirable these days. The best way to find out more about renting a house on your property is to talk to the zoning officer your township municipal building. They can help you move through the process legally. Best of luck with your endeavor!
you need to ascertain if the second home has any kind of deed restriction, limiting its use to family, guests, medical help, etc. Often, when there are two homes in a residentail area, the second was built w. a variance, and it is written in the deed that the second home cannot be rented.

You can call Readington Twp, they can help.
Thank you Kim I will do that.
Flag Mon Jun 4, 2012