Rentals in 92106>Question Details

justme, Renter in San Diego, CA

what apartment would rent to an ideal tenant EXCEPT for the fact I have an eviction? (long story)

Asked by justme, San Diego, CA Wed Jun 27, 2012

I have an income (job plus child support), I'm clean, quiet, tolerant, etc...

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 92106

Answers

6
Jill Miranda’s answer
As a landlord and someone who was a renter in the past I understand that there a variety of circumstances that could lead to an eviction. Some of those can be things that aren't really your fault or are beyond your control. I'm in agreement with the advice that you have the best chance by dealing with an owner rather than a management company. When I rent property I'm always willing to hear what a prospective tenant has to say. Unfortunately I don't have anything available right now. If you want to contact me and explain your situation I may be able to put you in touch with someone who would consider renting to you depending on your requirements and "long story".

Jill Miranda
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
619-248-1431
jillmiranda@jillmiranda.com
maybe a good solution would be to share a house with someone as a roommate? save as much as you can, then buy a home as soon as possible so you never have to worry about housing again!

good luck! Tough times don't last, tough people do! You are tough, you will make it!
Thank you.
Flag Thu Jun 28, 2012
Wow... thank you all so much for the fast responses!! You are all saying exactly what I thought. I have a couple of ?? and a couple of comments...
First, Cory, you had the exact response I would have had... "Yeah, right!" But honestly, I was late with rent in June of 2011, but I kept my landlord apprised of the status. June got paid.

July did not get paid, and again I remained in tight communication with my landlord. He agreed to come over so we could discuss a game plan. The meeting was scheduled for August 3rd. He came to my house, we talked, he asked for cash money ($1,700) by 5:00pm that day, I offered him all the money I had on me right then ($500) and he declined. He said he wanted the entire $1,700 by 5:00... in cash.

At 4:00 pm I asked to have until the next morning, he agreed. I was unable to come up with the total amount and on August 4th (I believe) he agreed to accept a proposal from me for home improvements. I proposed that I utilize a resource of mine (call in a favor, so to speak) and have the exterior of his 100-1500 square foot house repainted by a professional, journeyman painter.

On August 5th, we had another meeting scheduled at my home but when I woke up that morning, there was a "3-day-pay-or-quit" on my door. I was devastated. So, on August 5th I got my first sign that he was trying to get me out as swiftly as possible.

(I'll wrap this up) He went from, "Okay, we'll see how we can get you through this hump" to Get out of my house!! I had never been late on rent before.

I was ignorant to the entire eviction process, so I got busy researching, reading, and asking TONS of questions. I compiled my proof for the Unlawful Detainer hearing (I still have that file. FULL of emailed communications, etc...) I was absolutely certain that I would win based on three facts: 1) a landlord can NOT demand cash 2) He had "negotiated" with me after the eviction process started, and I'm embarrassed to admit that the third and final reason I just KNEW I'd win escapes me at the moment.

I lost. Our case was moved (at his request) to a criminal courtroom. It was heard by a judge that has probably not studied unlawful detainer laws since college. I'm not being factious, I only say this because he asked the bailiff and the transcriptionist if they knew the laws regarding a question I asked or a point I made on three occasions.

In one last "dumb move" on my part, I had a false sense of security that I would win and did not have an apartment lined out to move into. I began to stay in hotels since I have a 15-year-old son, and soon was absolutely broke. I have been homeless since January 4th of this year. I sleep at times in my car, or sometimes get a hotel if I can find a cheap enough room online... which has NOT happened since around Spring Break. I have now been renting a room from a woman for two months and have found new employment... Oh, What? I didn't mention that part??

Yes, my father died in April of 2011. He died April 10th, I fell into nightmarish depression, and due to a two-hour late start one morning (completely my fault) I was fired from my job on April 22nd. Thus, the beginning of a 15-month spiral down the toughest road I've been on in my entire life. I fought tooth and nail not to completely go under. I'm proud to say that right smack dab in the middle of the highest unemployment rate we Americans have seen in years, I held my head high and
EVERY SINGLE DAY I tried to secure employment. I slept in my car, "showered" in sinks, scraped up change to buy a cup of coffee at Jack-n-the Box so I'd be allowed to take my morning tinkle in a bathroom, and did whatever I needed to do to ensure I was at my son's grandmother's house nearly every morning to give him a ride to school and tell him I love him and let him know we were going to be just fine.

And now, here I am.... $1400 burning a hole in my pocket for deposit and rent on a 1 bedroom. And no one will take it. I have a good job making $30,000/year and I am going to break my neck to make damn sure I never lose it and run the risk of living this nightmare again.

I have to find an apartment close enough to my son's high school so he can skateboard home... he will be the 3rd generation to graduate from this particular high school.

Whew!! thanks for letting me vent.
You would probably have better luck looking for an apartment run by the owner rather than a property management company. It will take some patience and lots of time but you can find them and explain the situation. Sometimes they won't even ask. But do be honest if asked. Better for them to hear it from you than find out from somewhere else.
If you can document the long story... you have a chance

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Oh boy, ideal tenants don't get evicted. An eviction tells a prospective landlord that you didn't pay rent, and still didn't pay after receiving notices to pay. All you can do is find a landlord who'll take a chance on you, with whatever you have to support your story in writing.

This is why I tell my tenants, treat me how you want to be treated and if you allow an eviction, don't count on renting again. No landlord wants to evict a tenant. It's a lot of work and expensive and not at all fun! Good luck!
Flag Thu Jun 28, 2012