Rentals in 11704>Question Details

Kev4lxpp, Renter in 11704

renting a house, and the owner sold it and gave me 30 days to leave. after I just spent over $5000 in home repairs. is this legal?

Asked by Kev4lxpp, 11704 Tue May 31, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 11704

Answers

5
Did the landlord take money off of the rent for these repairs and improvements to be made?
I would take him to small claims court. Go down to the one in Lindenhurst village and get a date, they will give you all the forms and give you necessary information.
Unfortunately, If you don't have anything in writing, then it sounds like you're out of luck.
I did not know the owner was selling it. he was in contract when I asked him if I could make improvements,. I replaced the floors for about $3000, painted, fixed walls and bought outdoor furniture. All with his approval. 2 months later, he tells me he sold the house and I have 30 days to get out. our lease expired for the duration that I have been living there. So I have been living there month to month under the terms of the original lease. We had a pretty good understanding, but to just tell me to get out 2 months after I came to him and paid to improve his home I think is illegal.
What does your lease say? Did you know the owner was selling it? Why would you put $5K of your own money into someone else's property? Did you have some sort of agreement with the owner? (he/she would pay you back?)
Web Reference: http://www.sallygrenier.com