Rentals in 60647>Question Details

Lea Martinez, Renter in Humboldt Park, Chicago...

just got a call from our landlord saying that we have 30 days to vacate..we are a family w/young child. no lease. rights?

Asked by Lea Martinez, Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL Wed Aug 28, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 60647

Answers

14
Lea,

You most confirm with what the landlord has asked. However, if you do not find a place in 30 days ask for an extension. Make sure you are actively looking for a new place and pay your landlord his/her rent. Just so you know as long as you are paying you rent, judges are sympathetic to people in your situation as long as you can prove you are actively looking.

Best of luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 30, 2013
Call 311 or the Metropolitan Tenants Rights Organization at 773-292-4988 They've been a big help to me
Flag Mon Sep 2, 2013
Make plans to move and if you really need more time kindly request an extension of another few weeks or more.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 29, 2013
Depends on the lease you signed but typically there is a 60 day kick out clause that would give you 2 months to work with. Reach out to a Real Estate attorney and have them look through your lease for you. There may be options for you. Let me know fi you'd like a recommendation.
I hope you are able to find a place soon, once you get settled, start saving money for a down payment on a home so you are never in this position again. I have worked with three people, since May, who had the same experience, and I was able to help them get a mortgage in 40 days and close on a home. One was a single Mom with 6 children and low income, but she had great credit and a substantial down payment. It pays to prepare to purchase.

Go to my website at http://www.guaranteedrate.com/MaryKayLaurent And download a copy of our "Demystifying the Mortgage Process" this will give you the down and dirty on preparing to make that first home purchase.

With warm regards,

Mary Kay Laurent
Associate Vice President of Mortgage Lending
marykay.laurent@guaranteedrate.com

http://www.guaranteedrate.com/MaryKayLaurent

o: 773.516.6859 - m: 312.403.4150 - f: 773.328.1740
I would check your lease.
Plus you need a notice in writting
Hola , intenta desalojarlo en 30 dias , si no puedes pides mas tiempo , si te dio 30 dias y no tienes lease esta bien , pero claro es dificil buscar rentas ahora pero seguro que encontraras si buscas

Suerte
I'm getting the request in writing tomorrow along with a copy of our original lease (from 2006). We've been there month to month all this time without a single rent increase. We were very friendly with the landlord. He sadly passed away at the end of 2012. So..this left us vulnerable. We should've left earlier this year but we didn't. The new landlord wants to gut out the apartment and can easily get much more rent money for it, while he won't flat out say it. That is the reason. The reason they gave me is that they will be working in the basement and don't think we will be safe in our unit (1st fl). We always pay our rent on time and have been flexible with any requests to see the apartment or make repairs. We are desperately searching for a new place. Thankfully they found proof of our original security deposit. They say we will get that back when we leave. it would be nice if they would just let it cover this month's rent so we have a bit more wiggle room financially but it is what it is. I certainly don't want this to get ugly or have an eviction on my record. So we will just go. I just wish we'd left sooner, and on our terms. I have until Oct 1st. Thank you everyone for all your tips and words of advice!
Also, the law is very strict on who you deposit should have been handled so if they give you a hard time, there is a lot of recourse.
Flag Wed Aug 28, 2013
Ask the landlord if you can use your security deposit as the last month's rent. This time of year landlords are motivated to rent due to fall and the slow real estate season coming. You should be able to find something during this time period. Just be friendly and cooperative with the landlord and he could grant you an extension if you need it.

You do not want an eviction filing on your record. It will harm your ability to rent long into the future and will affect the price when you do rent, plus all you other interest rates.
Flag Wed Aug 28, 2013
The notice needs to be in writing. Also, if you really need to stay there, it would take a couple of months for the landlord to LEGALLY evict you. If you qualify financially, you can use the services of CARPLS to help you through this. They are located on State Street down in the Loop.
If you never had a lease from the start, then it is considered a month to month lease and 30 days notice is all that is required.
I believe there are some other parts missing from the story. What happened with the landlord prior to the phone call?

If you seek an attorney, that is the first thing that he will ask.
No lease limits your rights as tenants. You need to start looking for a place to live, you may delay the move, but consider saving the legal fees and applying them to your next place. I am happy to help with that if you email or call.
You should talk to a lawyer. 30 days notices needs to be in writing, not a phone call. If you were given written notice you should have until the end of next calendar month, but talk to a lawyer about all of the specifics. You can go to the Daley Center Monday-Friday by 8:30 to sign up and talk to a lawyer in room 601 for free, have you list of questions. Also, Google Chicago Landlord Tenant Ordinance. It applies to all Chicago rentals. It will spell out your rights and is very tenant rights focused.
call attorney Jim Schultz at 773 680 7426