Rentals in Temple City>Question Details

Yvonne, Renter in Temple City, CA

is it legal to ask for copy of social security card? just to run a credit check for a home rental? Or am I being scammed ?

Asked by Yvonne, Temple City, CA Tue Mar 13, 2012

Answers

8
Hi Yvonne,
For what I know, only your social security number is asked to submit. I rarely heard that the copy of your SS card is required. Please be careful.

Helen Chen Marston, realtor living in Temple City.
626-353-9665
Helen@HelensRealEstate.com
Best Answer;
I agree with your answer Helen
Flag Wed Apr 30, 2014
BOTTOM LINE- Do not make copies of your SS Card!!!! Proof of SSN and a valid ID is sufficient. I walked away from an apartment rentor who insisted that I allow her to copy my SSN card as well as my military ID, an absolute no-no!!! As a person who has been previously victimized by identity theft I can tell you that, in the wrong hands, there are several ways that a copy of your SS card can cause a world of financial problems that can take months to years to clear up.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 30, 2014
It's legal and it's pretty standard.

However, that still doesn't address whether it's a scam. If the deal seems too good to be true, it's likely a scam. If the "owner" is out of the country, it's a scam. If you have to provide substantial money up front (more than a few dollars to run the credit check), it's a scam. If you're supposed to pay by mail order or wire transfer, it's a scam.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 14, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
My landlord is asking for a copy of my driver’s license and social security card six months after we have moved in. She claims her bookkeeper needs it for her files. Is this legal?
Please read my 2 blog postings here on Trulia, you can find them by clicking on my picture, I wrote this (it's a bit long) to protect people who are looking for Rental Properties in the day & age when there are thousands of scammers out there looking to STEAL YOUR IDENTITY or try to rent you properties where they are NOT the legal owners.

Please read " RED FLAGS - RENTAL SCAMS - PUBLIC BEWARE" ----if you have any conversations with or emails to & from the person trying to rent you a property that sound ANYTHING like this, you're chances of being scammed are very high.

Be safe & good luck finding a place.

Shoot me an email if you want to talk about this some more. I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
Sure it's legal. It's also legal to ask you for a copy of your driver's license. It's also legal to ask you for $100 dollars. Doesn't mean you have to do it ! The difference is, it's not required or mandated by law in many states.

As a property manager, I request to see a photo ID to identify the person I'm renting to. You provide a SS# that matches the ID and address and I'll run your credit.
Yes it is legal. SSN is required to process credit and background check.
Web Reference: http://inlandfinancial.net
Yvonne,

That is common, because the landlord/management company would need your SSN in order to process the credit report.

However, always proceed with caution because there are some scam companies out there.

Craig Chastain
Realtor/Owner
Next Level Realty
909.243.4251
sellyourhomewithcraig@yahoo.com
Is it legal to ask for a copy of my ss card before I'm a tenant? Isn't the number along with a copy of my DL sufficient. If they have a copy of my ss card and I find a better deal elsewhere, what's to say they will destroy the copy?
Flag Sun Sep 29, 2013