Rentals in Goose Hollow>Question Details

Yepitsdeb, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

i will be using a V A loan would it be better to use a portland lender or one of these places that keep popping up like VA MORTGAGE CENTER.COM.

Asked by Yepitsdeb, Portland, OR Sat Jul 20, 2013

Answers

9
Check out all of your options - online lenders and local lenders. You may feel more comfortable with a face-to-face relationship, or you may be just fine handling everything electronically. You should be sure that you are comfortable with the chosen lender's ability to communicate effectively and keep you informed at every stage of the lending process. Your lender should also be willing to communicate with your real estate broker and the escrow officer in an effort to make the transaction run as smoothly as possible. I've had good experiences with many online lenders, and also have good relationships with local lenders, so check out a few and go with the one that makes you comfortable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 20, 2013
Shop around, talk to a couple local lenders and 1-800 lenders. A local lender is almost always going to give you the best service and be more attentive to your needs as they have a reputation that they want to maintain. My experience has been that most 1-800 lenders won't provide the same level of service that you deserve. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 21, 2013
I am a U.S. Army Veteran and as a Realtor work with Veterans. I have always found the best service to Veterans is a local lender - and there are quite a few. Each Veteran's situation is different and I try and match the Veteran's needs with the appropriate lender. The online national lenders sound great from a convenience point of view but if you contact one of the lenders that say they will shop for the best rate for you, they will send all your personal information to many lenders and every time each of these lenders pulls a credit report to qualify you your credit score generally takes a hit; and good luck communicating with each of these lenders to tell them you already have a lender and don't need more credit. It is baffling to me why anyone would be so free and loose with their most personal information.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
This topic hits close to home for me! I work primarily with VA buyers who are referred to me through these large online VA loan companies. As I appreciate their business and work side by side with the loan officers to sell them a home - I would have to recommend a different path.

Find a VA knowledgeable real estate agent who can refer a VA knowledgeable mortgage broker and they can work as a team to close your deal. At times VA loans and home buying can be complicated - so having professionals that specialize in this area is the only way to go.

My husband is in the Navy and we are constantly amazed how some of these large VA companies are NOT serving the best interest of our service members.

Best of luck and thank you for you service!

Chelsea Hemingway
503 Properties Inc
503-459-7113
To be blunt... Do you prefer to be treated as a name or a number?

I do VA all day long... Feel free to contact me, my info can be found by clicking on my profile.
I think any local lender will match anything you can find on line if they can get the job done. we have great lenders here and it is always better to deal with some one local. If you need some names I have a couple of great lenders that do VA all with local underwriting and not getting something approved in another city. Good luck to you. Tom Inglesby, Broker RE/MAX equity group
I recommend Umpqua Bank. It's a local Oregon bank that has incredible programs for its customers and gets the job done. They also have special programs for Vet borrowers. Contact Patrick Lesire at patricklesire.com. Check it out! I send all my clients to them.
Having a local lender is almost always better. You can actually connect with them to work through the process and they understand the local market. If you need names of good references to do a VA loan, please let me know and I can send you the information.

What is your time frame for making a purchase? What location are you looking for a home?
It depends on what you want. If you are looking for the best rates, shop around...Local lenders may make you feel more comfortable because you can meet with them in person and they are in the same time zone.