Rentals in 43204>Question Details

yvonnetoria, Renter in Newark, DE

i leased an apt and within 8 days of living there i have to move can you break your lease? apt complex is for Foxwood apts in Newark,DE

Asked by yvonnetoria, Newark, DE Mon Sep 24, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 43204

Hi Yvonnetoria,

Very sorry for the situation you are in. It may be very difficult for you to break your lease. It would have to be mutual. I would make two suggestions, not as a realtor, but as someone who is trying to help out.
1. Speak with mangement, someone who can make the decision and offer to buy out your current lease. Negotiate paying 3 months rent up front to mutually break the lease. I mention mutual becasue you MUST make sure before you pay anything that they are willing to let you out of the lease. If you give them the keys and some money put don't have anything in WRITING that they are letting you out for the buy out fee you could still be stuck.
2. Speak with an attorney. There may be some hardship statutes or something to that effect that may allow you to break your lease such as a death in the family, lost job, military service, injury or health issues. A lease is a contract. BOTH parties must agree in writing to alter it.

Look to see if there is a legal aid office near you that you can consult with an attorney, for little or maybe no fee and see what advice they can offer. Maybe if you can prove the premises uninhabitable or some health concern with the apartment , or if victim of a crime. Please consult with an attorney to explore your options.

I wish you well,
Jeffrey Paeltz, SFR ABR