Rentals in 15205>Question Details

Trisha, Renter in Pittsburgh, PA

i inquired on here about a rental property and the same day, it is up for sale. I was contacted by the owner. Is this a possible scam?

Asked by Trisha, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Mar 5, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 15205

Answers

2
Benny Smith’s answer
Tisha
Always be watchful, but it is not uncommon for a seller to use renting as a backup. I did one recently and it rented before receiving an acceptable offer. Of course they still want to sell when the lease is up. Be ready to move at the end of your lease.
Benny Smith
Hi Trisha,
Just be very careful. It could be that the owner is offering their property for sale or lease but there are many rental scams out there. I had a for sale listing of mine pirated and put on Craig's list as part of a rental scam and so did another agent in my office. They took the listing directly off the MLS so it looked very legitimate. Some red flags are if the rent sounds too good to be true and if they are asking for money up front often as a $200+ application fee. Some of the scams give a story about how they are out of the country and need someone to take care of their home. Also, be wary of offering your personal information such as bank acct. #s and social security #s. These could be used in identity theft.
Bev Kalb
Century 21 Longacre Realty