Rentals in Pittsburg>Question Details

Jaylove, Renter in Pittsburg, CA

how would i find out if anyone died in a unit?

Asked by Jaylove, Pittsburg, CA Tue Jan 10, 2012

I'm looking to move into a really nice and quaint 4-plex if you will and I just want to make sure nobody has died in the unit that I may be interested in. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP !!!! thanks , best regards -Jay.

Answers

8
look up in tax records the owner name, google that name and see if there was an obituary. As mentioned, ask landlord, but dont make it seem that is a determining factor, otherwise you sound a bit kooky, no offense.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 11, 2012
If it was recent the landlord needs to disclose it. Do you have reason to believe that someone died in the unit?

Dot Chance
DRE# 01494186
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 10, 2012
If you don’t want to occupy a home where a death has occurred in recent years, that’s your personal preference and right. I’ve attached a link that specifically deals with this issue and rentals in the California Bay Area:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-06-24/real-estate/17248141_1…
.
You can check with the local police department, local print media, ask the landlord, possibly neighbors, etc.; keep in mind that unfortunately, most us don't get to decide where or when we die....
Check out the following link. It should give you some pretty keen and direct insight. Good Luck. http://www.ehow.com/list_6829921_laws-real-estate-transactio…
I would not think that this was something an owner would be required to disclose. It certainly isn't under NY law. California might be different, but I would be surprised if it were all that different on this.Try a direct question to the landlord/owner or neighbors if this concerns you. In 30 years, I have only been asked that question once, and the folks didn't care what the answer was as long as it was answered. The husband had this premonition that he needed answered. An "out-of-this-world" experience for me.

A hundred years ago and more, it was not that unusual for anyone to die at home. There were few nursing homes, no hospice, limited money for hospitals, and a feeling that the family should take care of their own. The family normally lived nearby, too. Today, that has all changed around. But with hospice, home deaths are one of the things they assist with. You may also ask the local hospice about this property.

We lived for 20 years in a home where the previous owner had died. We were perfectly happy there and it was something that, if we ever thought of it, it was with a feeling that made the place special to us. More special was the knowledge that our youngest daughter was also born there.
If you have a question, ask it directly of the landlord. Good follow up suggestion from Michael as well. It is not at all uncommon for buyers or renters to ask me - and I in turn to ask of the agent/owner/landlord - what are the circumstances for the availability of the property. Sometimes we get better info that others in response, I do my best to get a response. There are some questions that realtors cannot answer - but you can research public sites, ask the landlord directly, ask the local authorities/police....in short do your due diligence on any factor that matters greatly to you enjoying and feeling safe in your new home.

Best of luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
If you're working with an agent, you can have him find out for you. Otherwise, you'll just have to ask around, perhaps the neighbors or property manager would know.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com