Rentals in Brooklyn>Question Details

Sisme, Home Owner in Brooklyn, NY

how to complaint against real estate broker/agent Brooklyn NY?

Asked by Sisme, Brooklyn, NY Thu Jan 13, 2011

Rapid Realty Bay Ridge office, broker Ms. Gabrela and agent Shayla Austin, rented out my apartment, got one month rent and one month security payments in case from my tenant on 12/10/10. After numerous calls, e mails and faxes, they then sent me the security deposit check of $1700 on Jan 06, 11, almost one month after they go the payment. The checked was bounced by my bank. I need to find out how to get my payment and file a complaint against this broker, agent and office. My e mail address is: sandyxia9828@yahoo.com Sandy

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Brooklyn

Answers

8
download the complaint form at; http://www.dos.state.ny.us/forms/licensing/1507-a.pdf
RETURN COMPLETED FORM TO:
NYS Department of State
Division of Licensing Services
Complaint Review Office
123 William Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10038-3804
To request the complaint form by phone, please call (212) 417-5790.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
You failed to mention if the check was written by the broker or by the tenant and just held by the broker. The answers you received by other posters will lead you the right direction. The DOS is the state licensing arm for real estate brokers. You can only file a complaint with the real estate board if they are Realtors. Just because someone has a license does not mean they are members of the National Association of Realtors. If they are Realtors then they have to abide by the Realtor Code of Ethics.

Donald A Mituzas
Licensed Associate Broker
Vice President - Westchester Putnam Association of Realtors
Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate
Katonah, New York
Web Reference: http://www.nyhomeseller.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 20, 2011
Anna hi

I have similar situation how do I file a complaint with the local Board of Realtors, ?

He is ignoring my mother phone / mails in law for 4 months rent payment that have not paid.

JE
The check that bounced is explained. How about the tenant in your apartment did their check clear and are they paying on time.? The agent and broker did they vanish or gone out of business ? If not you have a simple case.
If they declared bankruptcy than you like most people can form a line here.
Contacting the Real Estate Board is a good Start. I would be a bit careful displaying their name in public . They may have a reasonable cause to sue you for character deformation
Before you start throwing accusations make sure that there is not a simple explanation. I could think of a dozen reasons, other than what I have already mentioned. Accident, Illness, Personal Trauma. and the list could go on. I doubt that a broker would risk their license for such small amount of money. As they say something smells here and it’s not cheese.
Hello, the only piece of information that is missing is when your tenants actually moved into your property. If they moved in January then you have no complaint, but if they moved in a few days after December 10th then you may have a case.

Just make sure that you are clear and sure of the facts and the dates things occurred before you report an agent and jeopardize their license and reputation.
Web Reference: http://www.RhondaHolt.com
Dear Sisme:

Did the tenants actually move in yet and did they pay you the second months rent? Did you speak to Gabrela or Shayla since? If you have not I would suggest you give them a call, it may be an innocent mistake. If you do not get satisfaction that way you can file a complaint with the New York State Department of State (DOS). This is the government body that takes care of real estate law and agent regulations.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Dear Sandy

It is truly sad that this has happened to you and I hope get this matter resolved favorably. I would suggest that you contact the NYS Department of State (real estate license division) and also a local attorney (but you may end up spending more in legals cost to recoup your money). You may want to find an attorney that will provide a free consultantion.

You may want to consider contacting the local authorities since money is involved, and you can also file a complaint with the local Board of Realtors, and with the NYS real estate licensing division.