Rentals in 11784>Question Details

Rev Phil, Renter in 11784

how many people can you rent to in a one family house?

Asked by Rev Phil, 11784 Sun Feb 19, 2012

my wife me son daughter & grandchild rent the top of a split level & the landlord rents the bottom to 3 people no kitchen is this legal?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 11784

Answers

7
Probably not, but it is possible that the house has a permit. You would have to check with the Town of Brookhaven and see.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(516) 740-4478 Office
(516) 918-5383 Fax
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 15, 2014
I rent a house in Centereach and the landloard had someone living in the basement with no kitchen now the landloard is living there too We are paying the whole eletric bill and oil bill. doesnt seem right or safe
Landlords always need rental permits, even if renting to one family. Your scenario sounds like the landlord divided the house and tried to accomodate as many tenants as possible. I would be SHOCKED if he has it legal the way you are describing it, more so if by downstairs you mean a basement!

Here is a link to the Town of Brookhaven's contact info. I'm sure they can point you to the right direction should you need to find out info on your rental unit.
It does not sound like this is a legal rental.
In certain towns in Suffolk County, even renting a 1 family house to 1 family requires a permit. It is very unlikely that what they are doing is legal. Even if you and your son's family divided a house into a 2 family, it is likely that you will need a permit for the house to be occupied as a mother/daughter.
I guess that will depend by location, but I know it is typically about 2 people per bedroom. The fact there is no kitchen in what should be a different unit, may be an issue.

Best of luck
You can check with the local buildings department regarding occupancy rules, permits, etc.