Rentals in 22152>Question Details

Ken Mai, Home Owner in West Springfield, VA

how do I post an ad to rent my house?

Asked by Ken Mai, West Springfield, VA Thu Dec 1, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 22152

Answers

6
I do not want this on my account
Hi Ken,

Posting the ad is only half the battle. The advice given here is all good . . . Craigslist and Military by Owner are both great options. Although honestly, you should be able to get a pile of interest via Craigslist alone, and best of all it's free.

Here are my Five Secrets for Massive Rental Success on Craigslist:
(1) Set your rules in the listing. For instance, no pets and no smokers. Allow the listing to filter out folks who don't meet your criteria.

(2) Decide on one or two times you will be showing the house and invite folks to come at those times. Don't set 12 different appointments, invite 12 people to view the home at one or two predecided times.

(3) Don't accept the first person to apply. Plan to run credit, check rental history, verify employment and check court records for evictions.

(4) Let people know you will be running credit in the posting. You'll scare away undesirable applicant or they will "fess up" to the blemishes on their credit and you can decide whether you are willing to work with them.

(5) Understand that you will have to filter through quantity to get quality, but you can get great tenants on Craigslist.

(6 - Bonus) Be sure to include as much information as possible and include the max number of photos Craigslist will allow(8).

(7 - Bonus) Set up a separate gmail account just for your rental. This way you don't clog your other email address with rental inquiries and you have all the folks who've inquired in one place so you can easily communicate with them.

Hope this helps. You're success in your landlord experience will be largely dictated by the amount of time you spend here on the front end getting good tenants into the home. Don't be lazy getting good tenants in and you'll very likely have smooth sailing for the entire lease.
Web Reference: http://www.HomeValueTV.com
Great advise from all. I do like to use Craig's list and agree with Chris that you do get a few cooks. In my advertisement I stated prospective renters must bring written referrals and credit report. It helped weed out "lookers" and brought forth qualified people. Most of my properties were rented to good quality tenants with in a few weeks :)
Hi Ken,

You can post your ad on our website to help rent is. We are a performance based service with no monthly fees. You pay Rentals Gone Wild, only if our advertisement results in a lease.
Ken, Cindy is right on Military by Owner, its not very good for selling but can be great for renting. Craigslist works too. However, you have to be aware of some of the responses you'll get through those sites - I stopped using them because I would get bombarded by calls and would even set appointments, most of which were not qualified or would never show up to their appointment. I would highly recommend taking Cindy up on her offer to help you get it rented. Not only will you not have to deal with all the time wasters but if she can get it rented a month faster than you can, that could be an entire month's mortgage payment extra if the home is vacant. And, you won't have to deal with the time wasters. She can help you leverage the entire agent sales force in N. Va. to bring qualified renters and get cash coming in sooner rather than later. The rental market is also very price sensitive - $100 too high on your price and you'll never get rented. She'll be able to help make sure you are in line with local rents. Again, if you are too high on your asking price and sit vacant, its money lost. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://makeoveragent.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 2, 2011
Maggie,

Trulia is only for real estate agents to post listings. Since your home is in West Springfield you may want to post it on http://www.militarybyowner.com. If you are looking for assistance from an agent to assist you with getting your home in the MLS, screening tenants and preparing a lease feel free to contact me. I know the West Springfield area well.