Rentals in Brooklyn>Question Details

Sophie Love, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

how can you get a apartment with bad credit?

Asked by Sophie Love, Brooklyn, NY Wed Mar 7, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Brooklyn

Answers

7
Only with guarantors. Because good credit is very important.
Hi Sophy282,

It depends on how your credit is bad is it credit cards or student loans. It always doesn't have to stop you. Call me and we can discuss your options. My best regards to you ~ Ramona

Ramona Johnson, Realtor(c) and Personal Real Estate Consultant
with Coldwell Banker Mid Plaza Realty
3041 Avenue U
Brooklyn, New York 11229

Phone: (718)646-3600
Cell: (347)488-2606
Fax: (718)646-7939
Email: ramona@brooklynrealtynow.com
http://www.brooklynrealtynow.com
http://www.coldwellbanker4brooklyn.com/Ramona_Johnson.html
My credit score is 500 I need an apartment 1 bedroom who takes small dogs
Dear sophy282:

Here are some options for you:

1) If you have enough money, offer to pay six months to a year in advance and give two months security as well.

2) If you deal directly with a homeowner, often times they will not check your credit. Although this is a mistake on the landlords part, it does happen. You may be able to find some on Craigslist. Just be leery, some Internet ads may be a scam. If the rent amount seems to good to be true or if the owner is "out of the country" or not able to get you into the apartment to look at it, it is probably a scam.

3) If you have a good job with good income and not much debt, a landlord may still be willing to rent to you.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
If you have a good rental history, job history, and your previous landlord would recommend you, you should find plenty of landlords willing to rent to you. Just be honest with potential landlords about your credit situation.
One way to do it is to rent from a private person in a two-family home. You will need references. You can find these places by visiting the library and looking at the ads in all the various weekly newspapers--there will be several different ones, just start looking at them all.

There are also landlords here and there who are actually like to get tenants with poor credit, because they know such tenants are loyal as they don't have a lot of options. I know a landlord like that in Manhattan. Such an apartment certainly isn't luxurious but it's decent housing.

Karla Harby
Lic RE Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg LLC
Manhattan
212 688 1000 x146
kharby@crrnyc.com
Can we rent an apt in Madison, WI if my husband is gainfully employed with perfect credit and I have bad credit due to student loans?? IS it possible for him to just sign the lease??
Flag Tue Feb 18, 2014
Most likely, you would need a cosigner. Also, additional rent + deposit in order to make it work. But, that's all assuming the landlord is ready to play. Either way, call the renting agent and ask them the same above referenced question. Good luck!