Rentals in Pittsburg>Question Details

Kevin, Renter in 94565

how can i find out if a house has had an illegal room added?

Asked by Kevin, 94565 Wed Jun 22, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


You can't since if it is illegal then it is not recorded!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
Building and planning should be able to answer that very easily.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 22, 2011
First of all most B&P depts, at least in San Diego, don't keep most records more than about 10 years or so. As a general contractor I'm always dealing with this type of research and it becomes very frustrating at best when you can't always find this information out.

However, should you be able to access these records it would clearly indicate whether or not a permit was ever pulled for the room in question. If there is no signs of a permit but one is required to legitimize the addition for the square footage of the appraisal you should see it the current owner would be willing to do that. It would be in both of your best interest to do so.

He would gain from added square footage which would add to the value of the appraisal and you would gain likewise albeit the current owner would then be able to add value to the sales price. Now if the home is an REO or a short sale all bets are off as it would not be very likely that the bank or the in arrears homeowner would be willing or motivated to put in any time, money or effort.

However, if you really like the home and you think you're getting a good deal then I certainly wouldn't let that stand in your way. I've seen a lot of real buying opportunities evaporate over some pretty petty issues. I've actually been down that road a few times myself. If this home gives you warm fuzzies I say pull the trigger.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011

Without going through all the hassle of going down to the city (the answers below seem to presume that you are i contract on this home. If you are not, don't go running to the city until you are.) Goto county records and see what that has to say. ON county records, the number of rooms, beds and baths should sync up with the home of interest. If it does not, you can then make an inquiry to the owner via agents.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 28, 2011
Check with the permits department for building in your local municipality. Another way is to see what the actual tax recored square footage has recorded for the home and then measure out the house to compare. You will know for sure though by contacting the city to see what permits were pulled or not on the home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 22, 2011
You can check with your local building department...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 22, 2011
County records or a title company would be able to give you the amount and description of rooms and total square feet. If it's more than that, no permits where issued for any additions.

Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 22, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer