Rentals in Columbia>Question Details

Onlyone, Renter in Columbia, MD

crime in columbia commons columbia,md

Asked by Onlyone, Columbia, MD Tue Apr 17, 2012

wanting to know how much crime is in this area

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Columbia

Answers

4
Dear Onlyone,
I reside and service in Columbia. Crime is something we as agents are prohibited from discussing. I wrote a blog on this since we get this question so often. I invite you to read it below
Researching an area to move is probably the first thing you as home buyers do when wanting to move. The research often begins with the houses, and prices. If you like the homes for the price, then many buyers make searching community amenities and perhaps schools next.

Now comes the time to have the REALTOR take you out and tour the homes researched. Wondering if your research has been accurate you ask the agent “How is this area?” At which point you should imagine hearing the sounds of a mack truck’s screeching breaks trying to stop before hitting the itty bitty car in front of them. What I mean by this is did you know that it is a violation for us REALTORS to comment on any neighborhood, community, city, region, or even schools. That’s right. We could be accused of trying to “steer” certain people into certain neighborhoods by answering questions like “What are the demographics here?” Or “What is the crime rate here?”

To find these answers call the local police department. Google the local crime reports, which often will populate by entering an address alone. Drive the areas at different times and include early morning trips to gain an idea of traffic to and from your office if you’d be in rush hour traffic. I had a client rent a hotel room one night near the house she was considering to get a feel for the community and commute to work. She shopped the nearby malls, ate at an area restaurant, walked the local park, and left the hotel for work in the morning. What a great idea to get hands on research.

Do your own investigating and ask neighbors in the community. With the Internet, everything you’d want to know is at your fingertips from community reports, school report cards, US Census reports, employment / employers and more. Just remember, you shouldn’t seek this information from a licensed Real Estate Professional. A home purchase is a big investment lasting years. Do your homework in advance.

I hope the above helps. Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions. I'm honored to assist.
Ariana Loucas RE/MAX
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 17, 2012
My Best suggestion is to visit the area after dark, on weekends to get the best feel as to a safety factor. Real Estate agents prohibited by law from discussing these issues with you. So maybe the question to ask of your agent is
I would suggest reading the Howard County crime logs. A good site to use is (just plug your address is):

http://gis.howardcountymd.gov/GCrimeStatistics/GCrimeStatist…
Hello, You will have to check with the individual police stations once you decide upon a neighborhood. However, Columbia and Ellicott City are one of the top places to live in Maryland. They also boast a competitive school system. If I can be of help with your search, please let me know. -2404267229- Valerie Licensed Agent