Rentals in New York>Question Details

Deneka, Renter in Bronx, NY

are there any realtors in nyc that are willing to work with people with bad credit?

Asked by Deneka, Bronx, NY Wed May 16, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in New York

Answers

10
If you are looking to rent your credit will matter to the potential landlord(s), and any local agent can help with your seach. Be prepared to be upfront with the potential landlord as to why your credit is amiss, be prepared to show proof of emplyment/pay stubs, possibly have some reference letters handy, possible offer additional security, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
It's not about the Realtors, it's about the property owners/landlords. THEY want to know that you are a good risk, and that you'll pay your rent on time. The Realtor is just the middleman. But they might be instructed by the landlord to only deal with people who have good credit.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
Avoid Nicholas Duarte at all Costs
Of course. But the client will need additional security deposit for landlord.

--
Thank you!

DOM PASCUAL, J.D., ESQ.
ASSOCIATE REAL ESTATE BROKER
Demsker Realty
"Your Experts in NYC Luxury Apartments & Lofts"
304 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10010
Cell: (631) 741-2764
E-mail: dompascual@gmail.com
Join my social network: http://cityamicus.com
Company Website: http://demskerrealty.com/
Blog: http://dompascual.wordpress.com/
Listings: http://dompascual.postlets.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dompascualesq
Facebook Profiles: Dom Pascual; Manhattan Broker

** All information contained herein does not constitute any warranties, offer or commitment or obligation of any sort and/or kind whatsoever and is subject to change, error, omission and/or withdrawal without prior notice. **
Oh ok thank you guys for your help, my credit isn't the best but I make the standard 40 times the rent of the apt that I'm interested in (I've been working at the same place for over a year) and I was also told that I would probably need a letter from my current landlord (I've paid the rent on time for over a year) and I am willing to put down an additional security deposit if necessary. Thank you!
Yes of course. A smart broker or real estate agent will know exactly what to do help someone with bad credit qualify for an apartment. Some landlords are more lenient than others and we usually know who they are. There are other things to consider such as solid work history, savings in the bank, investment accounts--things that will give the landlord confidence you have enough money to pay the rent. If you don't have a guarantor who can qualify for the apartment for you--a parent or relative who makes 80x the monthly rent there are other alternatives. Some landlords might require something as simple as extra months security or a few extra months paid in advance. If all else fails, there is a company called Insurent who, for a fee, will guarantee the rent in place of a guarantor--and many NYC buildings accept this. It's always best to be completely up front about your credit & your work history so your agent will know exactly how to help you.
Deneka,
As others have answered below, when it comes to rentals, landlords do care very much about your credit. One possible solution might be to pay 6 months or so up front. Another solution is to have a guarantor. It is not that real estate agents don't want to work with people with credit issues, it is that they can only help you if you are likely to meet the qualifications of the landlord for the apt.
Hi Deneka,

My office works directly with landlords. If you are ready and willing to pay in advance, I can try to find you a new place!

Feel free to contact me!

Laura Thierer
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Ardor NY Realty
o: 212-588-3000
c: 914-426-0075
lthierer@ardorny.com
Hi Deneka. Here's a perfect example of all things being relatively equal in real estate no matter where you are. I agree with Sally Grenier who is not local to our area but her answer goes right to the heart of the issue.

Landlords have their requirements and they are usually job, money and credit related. Yes, they want to collect their rent every month. The only way to make an informed decision as to the risk of any potential renter, is to look at their overall financial situation. Good luck.
I can try to help you, depending on what you're looking for. My email address is cary@metropolitanpropertygroup.com. Email me a # to reach you, and reference this.