Rentals in Staten Island>Question Details

Nathaniel Re…, Renter in Staten Island, NY

are all the houses here listed a scam?

Asked by Nathaniel Reyes, Staten Island, NY Sat Oct 13, 2012

Answers

11
No Nathaniel, not all the houses listed on this site are scams. However, you should keep in mind that there are certainly some less than honest homes and rentals etc. which ARE scams.
My advice to you is to NEVER offer out your personal banking or financial information to anyone over the phone or internet. No licensed real estate agent is going to claim that he or she is currently out of town and therefore cannot meet with you but would still ask for your financials (at the home howners request). Be certain to physically meet with a realtor to preview a home or apartment in person. Only then, should you proceed to legally pursue a property. If you require any additional information or assistance, please feel free to contact me at your convenience. I look forward to assisting you with all of your real estate needs.
Best of luck!

Phil Seblano
Robert Defalco Realty
718-954-0114
seblanohomes@gmail.com
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
No, its not a scam, just that public sites dont update regularly like MLS does (Muliple Listing Service). Thats why you should work with a Licensed Real Estate Salesperson whose data originates from MLS for the most accurate and up to date information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
All but mine are. Seriously, no they are not but some are and some are horribly out of date and some are sold and some are no longer for sale. Online sites are good for giving you an idea what is out there, but for the best and most timely information you need to hook up with a Realtor to help you. It's free, why wouldn't you?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
No.
But if you're looking for a home you should hire/consult a local real estate agent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Hi Nathaniel,

Most likely these homes are not a scam. What happens sometimes is the status of a house for rent or sale may not be changed quickly so when you inquire that particular home was available at one time and recently changed. By using a realtor you get a more up to date status and we have access to ALL homes, not all homes are listed on these sites.
Hello Nathaniel, if you find something not to be true please flag it.
As a local who is house hunting, I find many of the listings are very out of date and some of the neighborhoods have been...fudged. i.e. Before the storm a house was listed in New Dorp, now is listed for Todt Hill. Another listing that I know is in New Dorp, as it is about 20 feet from the house I grew up in, is now being listed as Oakwood to avoid some of the negative connections to storm related areas.
No they are listed by licensed Realtors, and if you have doubt about what you are seeing, you simply contact a Real Estate Professional , like myself...and allow me to take you through the entire process..as well as making sure what you are seeing is accurate. Looking forward to hearing from you !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
Scams do exist, therefore always proceed with caution, see link below. Keep in mind that not all rentals posted are listed with a broker, some are by owner....
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt002.shtm
No, they are not updated in a timely manner. Realtors have access to the Multiple Listing Service with the most updated information.
Oops, sorry, that's Multiple Listing Service.....