Effie, Renter in Honolulu, HI

are ALL of these listings scams?

Asked by Effie, Honolulu, HI Thu Jul 12, 2012

Answers

5
David Nash, Buyer Agent’s answer
Pretty much yes, all listings on Trulia are scams, or at least a lot of them......Do yourself a favor and avoid Trulia for rentals.
Best bet for none scan ads in Honolulu is to contact an agent and have them pull the listings off the MLS for you.
Not every rental appears there, but none of them are scams as REALTORS have to upload them to the MLS themselves and will lose their license if they don't post legitimate rentals.

Hope this helps, I am sorry for renters in Honolulu who have to jump through this morass just to find a place to live. Give me a call and I will try to help you. I don't do property rentals but I try to connect good people with my clients who self-manage.

And the best way not to have to deal with rental scams is to BUY A HOME, it is easier and more attainable than you think. Visit http://www.MyFirstHawaiiHome.com for more info.

Aloha
David Nash (S)
Any of the listings with "Markison Conrad" as contact are probably scams. He has been pilfering everyone's listings off MLS, putting them on rental websites such as rentfeeder.com and here as rentals. He asks you to wire him money and sends a phoney lease agreement with incorrect apt. numbers. The people show up to their "rental" and find out it doesn't exist.
He has done this with my listings.
i think a lot of these are scams. Listers keep asking me to send Money to their bank account before they will show the property.
The other way to tell is if it sound too good to be true, it is. Our brokerage just recently helped to catch some of these dirt bags.
Your best bet is to do as Frank suggests or call a property manager that actually rents for owners.
Every agent has access to all of the rentals that are posted on the MLS and there is a move at this time to get everyone to post their legal rentals on the MLS so we can be of assistance to renters. Watch for a better public-facing site for rentals in the near future at HiCentral.com this is the local real estate board's website.

That said, there are literally thousands of illegal rentals that are for the most part ok, besides the illegal part, but make sure you ask questions about fire walls, electrical safety, separate electrical safety if you think it may not be a legal rental. It can be unsafe, especially if local joe handyman did it himself.....

Caveat Emptor for rentals,
David Nash
Team Leader for TheOahuAgents.com
The best way to find out is to find the name of the actual property owner then look it up to see if it matches who you are speaking with.