Rentals in Charlotte>Question Details

Liz.thomas, Renter in Charlotte, NC

23 y/o AA professional moving to Charlotte soon! Advice on where to live

Asked by Liz.thomas, Charlotte, NC Thu Feb 3, 2011

Sorry for the double posting, I tried to delete my follow up response to the questions and ending up deleting the entire post!

But I will be relocating to Charlotte from Dallas (originally from Chicago) and I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment for $900 or under. My office will be in Ballantyne (which I heard is somewhat "slow paced") but I want to live in a fast paced, diverse area with other young professionals. I would like the apartment to have a dishwasher, (at least) a washer/dryer connection and (preferably) a covered parking spot. Any ideas/advice? Thank you to everyone who responsed before and a thanks to everyone who will respond to this!

Answers

7
I say look in Southend and Uptown.... But I think you'll find what you are looking for in Southend. There are lots of bars and restaurants and it is just a lightrail ride to Uptown. Plus it is a not a bad drive to Ballantyne going down Park Road...you are going against traffic. I think it is worth the drive to and from work... because if you stay in Ballantyne you'll have too far a drive at night for the action. There are tons (I mean tons) of new apartments in Southend, right on the light rail with all the stuff you are looking for. Here is a video that will give you a feel for it. http://www.lexielongstreet.com/south-end-neighborhood-charlo…
Check out my website for more and a video of Uptown.
Web Reference: http://www.hiphoods.com
It used to be. I have four kids. Aged 17 through 28, and a bunch of things have opened to make the area not so boring for your age group. Cosmos and City Tavern will keep you satisfied and there is always Epicentre uptown, less than thirty minutes for solid, fantastic night life. For apartments, there are several running along Ballantyne Commons Blvd. The last client's daughter I helped found one that suit her needs very well over by the Providence Promenade. A little googling will get you there!
Web Reference: http://www.homesbycross.com
Hi Liz,

The Ballantyne area is a great area but for what you are looking for you probably would want to consider something closer to downtown (also known as uptown). Dilworth, South End, Myers Park, Elizabeth are all great areas as long as you don't mind the drive to/from work. The downside of a more urban location is that you are probably looking at thirty minute commute each way. In between downtown and Ballantyne is the Southpark area which might be a good compromise if you don't want that long of a commute.
I don't know if you deleted your answers when you deleted your post, so just in case, I will answer you again. As a 23 year old single gal hailing from a big city, I would strongly recommend that you rent either Uptown or SouthEnd. Uptown is where all the action is for young professionals such as yourself. You could walk to restaurants, movies, bowling, nightlife, plays, sporting events, concerts, etc. I have many young professional clients that have relocated from NY and Chicago and most have landed uptown to be in an environment as close to what they were used to as we have here. You could also rent in SouthEnd and then walk to the light rail to get uptown without having to drive. SouthEnd is a hip area as well. You should be able to find a decent 1br apartment with secure parking uptown. SouthEnd apartments and condos may only have a parking lot, as it is not quite as urban. There are 4 "wards" in uptown, all offering apartments, townhouses and condos for rent. If you choose to live uptown, you will have a commute to work but it will not be all that bad, as you will be going against traffic to and from work. Let me know if I can help you find a great place. My email address is KathleenTurner@kwcharlotte.com. You will love it here - I promise! Kathleen Turner
Hi Liz,

Too funny! I read your question and did a little research only to return to your question and see it had been deleted! I thought "Well, she must have found what she wanted!" LOL!

I found a great condo right in the heart of Ballantyne. Check out this link:

http://tiny.cc/Rental

You may also want to check out my blog at http://www.BallantyneBuzz.com !

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Lynn

Lynn Johnson
Realtor/Broker, e-Pro,ABR
Licensed NC/SC
Director, NCAR
704-756-7005(m)
Lynn@LynnJohnsonRealtor.com
Dilworth, South End, Uptown would all be suitable for your price criteria and demographic desires.
Hi Liz,

Hope I am not double posting my response!:) You should be able to find a nice one bedroom apartment for $900 a month in Ballantyne. The area has lots of restaurants and a couple of wine bars, shopping and YMCA. For a more urban feel you could look in Dilworth or Plaza Midwood, though your commute to work would be a bit longer. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I live and work in the Ballantyne area. Good Luck!