Rentals in San Francisco>Question Details

Dfolmer@emai…, Renter in

338 spear, 310 Main, and 400 Beale listings in San Francisco, all Fraudulent?

Asked by Dfolmer@email.arizona.edu, Mon Mar 24, 2014

Hello Trulia,

I am moving to San Francisco and been using your site for a while now to make contacts. I am particularly attracted to listings at the above properties. However, each time I contact them, they require a wire transfer first, then to continue my renting with standard cash payment. I asked to meet in person with one listing, and he responded "I want to be clear. We do not accept cash payment. You must use a bank to bank transfer." The property is awesome, but a 3600 cash transfer makes me nervous. Jonathan Michael is the listing agent, Kwame Alex is the property owner, and 338 spear street, #41B, SF, CA 94105 is the property. Is there any way to confirm thier legitamacy?

I also found duplicate listings with different agents. Same address of 338 spear st., #13F, but one listing has Fletcher Ambrosini as the listing agent, the other has Phillip Bates as the listing agent. I contacted Mr. Ambrosini to move forward, and he also told me to wire the deposit. help!

Answers

2
Hi
Im seeing a lot of fraudulent listings on Trulia. Some listings were actually my own building where I asked the HOA manager and concierge about them, and found out there were no units for rent.

Im not sure if its a click thing ( PPC - marketing ) to get paid for the clicks, or if its financial fraud .
Point2Homes - consistently shows properties that are not available.
bradly.stone@realtyagent.com provided the same non sensical email that another 'so called' agent did.
Here it is. below - complete with a discount…right!
Good luck to you - you may want to try another service.

301 Main St #25F , San Francisco , CA 94105
Bedroom: 1
Bathrooms: 1.5
Square Ft: 930
Rent: $2,000
Deposit: $2,000

We also offer special discount on the following below;

1. Pay 3 months Rent in advance and get 10% discount.
2. Pay 6 months Rent in advance and get 15% discount.
3. Pay 1 year Rent in advance and get 25% discount.
Hi Leone-

As Jess mentioned, you certainly do not want to wire any money to anyone. This is now how rentals are handled in San Francisco. The best thing to do is to find a rental agent who can help you identify an apartment and walk you through the normal steps (viewing the apartment, completing an application, etc.).

Trust your intuition, too. If something doesn't feel right, it most usually doesn't feel right for a reason.

Best of luck.

Rich
305.4911
Flag Sun Apr 20, 2014
These ads are scams. Do not wire money. This is what's happening: thieves are taking real estate agents' names and license numbers, and then are posting fraudulent rental ads stating "wire me the money, and I'll send you the keys". The rents are usually below market and seem like a good deal, as well, so renters get really excited. Due to the nature of Trulia's site, the only thing we in the Trulia user community can do is flag those ads, so please do so.

San Francisco's rental market is highly competitive, and you will most likely need to see the property in person, meet with the rental agent, complete an application, show financials, and provide references.

Unfortunately, this has been happening on Trulia for many years and I hope they create a solution, which increases the integrity of their listing data.