Rentals in Indianapolis>Question Details

Shannon, Other/Just Looking in

4905 Primrose Ave rental listing is a SCAM! Did research-saw it listed for sale by a relator. Called the relator and not for rent at all!

Asked by Shannon, Fri Jan 25, 2013

Warning

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3106807143-4905-Primrose-Ave-In…

Answers

5
Joe Shoemaker’s answer
Shannon:

Unfortunately, this happens very frequently. It's almost never the fault of the listing agent, but routinely an act perpetrated by someone out of state or out of the country.

Generally the scam artist will steal the photos and property description from a place like Trulia or Zillow - or even just the MLS - and create a fake ad for a rental. They'll then post those ads to Craigslist, back to Trulia, and various other places. The scammers hope to convince you to send them a fee for rental application or worse yet a security deposit.

Unfortunately, the scam works too many times.

I highly encourage you to work with a local real estate agent or property management firm to assist you in your search.

Joe Shoemaker
Principal Broker, REALTOR®
MacDuff Realty Group, LLC
317 413.8501
joe@joeshoe.com
http://www.facebook.com/joeshoe
http://twitter.com/#!/jojosmojo
Mallorie is right. Our listings get hijacked all the time by craigslist scammers. We take angry phone calls from potential tenants on a daily basis. We have tried everything to get them to stop, even calling the police. If you see a rental property that is priced WAY below market value be very cautious. This scam has cost our company a LOT of grief.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 1, 2013
We've experienced the same issue. The scam artists steal the pictures and information off of our listings and then repost them on Craigslist at a great price. They usually have some reason they can't show the home and then ask for a deposit. NEVER send any money without seeing the home in person and contacting the listing agent.
This is an unfortunate part of the internet. There has been a big issue, especially as of late, with false rental listings online. In one instance, the scammer had duplicated my listing at a much reduced price [IE: I had it listed at $1250/month and they listed it, utilities included, at $700 per month]. They requested the interested renters peak into the windows, as they are out of town and unable to show it. This became extremely frustrating for my sellers that were occupying the home and dealing with people peaking into the windows. The scam in this instance was to obtain a cashiers check from the tenants, without them viewing the property nor meeting the landlord. (which believe it or not, some people have been caught in this scam because the property was "too good to be true" and they wanted to make sure they secured it.

It's good that you did your homework and contacted the actual listing agent. An excellent source for rentals would be on MIBOR.com (which is our local MLS) or right here on Trulia.

I wish you the best of luck on your rental search. If you need any additional assistance in locating a rental, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Respectfully,

Mallorie Wilson
Associate Broker
Century 21 Diversified
malloriewilson.com
317-590-3434 direct
This has become very common and is mainly done with rentals. You did what all people looking at online listings should do.
Thank you. I appreciate your help.
Flag Fri Jan 25, 2013