Rentals in Houston>Question Details

abbienclayton, Both Buyer and Seller in Indianapolis, IN

Young professionals/newlyweds relocating to Houston from Indiana and looking for rental in a safe area that will accommodate our two boxers.

Asked by abbienclayton, Indianapolis, IN Wed Aug 8, 2012

My husband starts his new job in Houston next week. We are looking to relocate in September. We're looking for a 1BR/den or 2BR rental that is in a safe area, close to shopping/restaurants, pet-friendly and under $1100/mo. Katy was recommended to us, but we are open to other suggestions that fit our budget. Any recommendations?

2 votes Share Flag Rentals in Houston

Answers

15
Jordan’s answer
I'm not a Realtor or anything just giving my 2 cents as I have grown up in Houston/Katy.

Katy is for sure for families and less focused on young professionals. If you were to live in Katy and worked downtown you are looking at a 30-35 minute commute with no traffic, or with morning workday traffic upwards of an hour. Katy is about 15 miles West of Houston. Most professionals in Katy take Metro (Houston Bus System) to get to downtown. They can ride in the HOV (2+ minimum most hours of the day) lanes and usually get you there pretty quick and most companies will pay for this.

If you are in to the younger night life you want to be inside the loop. Inside beltway 8 as a minimum, preferably inside 610. Night life wise their are 2 main areas, Midtown (south of downtown) and Washington Ave for the bar/club scenes. There are a few upscale bars in Upper Kirby (Just North of 610 on Kirby), and some local music scene type bars in the Heights people will go to. Areas close to these areas are the Heights (North of I-10, West of 45, southeast of 610), Galleria/uptown (West of 610, North of 59, South of 10), Rice Military (South of I-10, North of Memorial, east of 610), and Montrose/Neartown (Just west of midtown, generally considered to be a center for the LGBT community). Most recent grads/ young couples will live in these areas as for the most part rent could be affordable if you look at the right places. Before you start looking you need to decide if you would like to live in a midrise (If you have a small dog), a condo/townhome (2 bedrooms will rent about the 1200+ range), or will try a home (your best bet would be the heights for this). All of the places I mentioned are no more than 15 minutes to night life. Shopping wise one of the more famous places will be the Galleria which is located in the uptown area (Area where 610 and 59 intersect on the west side of 610). Again all of these places I mentioned will be about 20 minutes tops to the Galleria.

Hope this helps.
Jordan gives some great advice, there are great places all over Houston, just gotta do a little research and discover where NOT to go, too...
Good luck. I absolutely HATE everything about Houston....in a word...it SUCKS! The people are not friendly, they are very rude, horrible drivers and it is nothing but a den-of-thieves down here. I am ready to move BACK TO INDIANA!!!!!
Welcome to Houston! Katy is a nice area but more for families. The Galleria is a really nice area for young professionals/newlywed couples. Many restaurants and shoppings, everything really close and safe. Also, there is a really great area for young couples and it is called Rice Military. I'm a Remax realtor and I would be happy to help you finding the right place.

Lorena Yupari
E-mail: lorenayupari@yahoo.com
Abbie,
I would be happy to help you :) Please send me your email so that I can send you what is available.
It will help to know what part of Houston you will be working or if you are willing to commute.
Not all rentals are "Pet friendly" but I have worked with landlords before to overcome this obstacle (References available) Be prepared to pay a per deposit (Uusally over 25lbs per dog can be $300-500 deposit) Plus you will be required to carry liability insurance for boxers (There is a list of dogs considered 'agressive') I'm a dog lover & owner myself so know they're part of the family, however landlords are not always so understanding! There is information on my website regarding 'lease' properties etc; Usually applications carry a non-refundable fee also. Some nice areas around town have 'dog parks' where you can comfortably meet other young professionals along with dogs and their humans :) My cell: 832-274-7572 email: sunnygoode@agoodehome.com
Web Reference: http://agoodehome.com
Call so we can talk about pet size, work area, hobbies, budget etc. and let's start to make plans.

281-814-8332
Katy is a great area. If you don't have children The Heights or something in the Inner Loop may work as well. If you need assistance you can give me a call. I'm a realtor and can help make your move a little easier. Najla Waters 832-421-5324
Welcome to Texas -

Houston has so many great areas to live in. I would suggest starting your search in an area close to work or activities you may enjoy. Please let me know if I can help you in your search.

Jennifer Grimm - McGinley
Realty Associates
281-794-8732
you may want to also look into the Kingwood or the woodlands area-let me know if you need any assistance -I can set you up to receive rental listing if you would like
Abbie,

Katy area is nice..west of Houston. Also Cypress, Cy-Fair and Champions in the northwest parts of town. Ideally, we would want to know where you husbands office is located, then start from there.

We can customize searches for rental homes to make sure they would allow pets and are available when you need them to be available. Let us know if we can help you.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty
where do you work? what do you do? hobbies? Let me know, I'd love to help.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference: http://joelocator.com
Katy is a nice area. I can send you a listing of properties that meet your criteria. However, I would need to know what kind of pet you have and how much it weighs.

Debra Zamarron
City West Realty
dgzamarron@gmail.com
We have two boxers, both around 55 lbs.
Flag Wed Aug 8, 2012
Thank you for providing a good outline of your moving requirements. The only two things missing are both of your employment areas and do you have pets--if so kind and size.

I will gladly set up a daily search in your name; called a Gateway on the local Houston Association of Realtors. So before you are hear you will have a good idea of the market and how it suits your needs.

We have many choices for various rental styles. One note: rentals go fast so being prepared by understanding what's available will save you time and effort.

Please feel free to contact me.

Brenda Peavy, Broker
PV Properties.com
281-497-1290
brenda@pv-properties.com
http://www.har.com/PVProperties
http://www.har.com/BrendaPeavy
Welcome to Houston! There are rentals available within your budget ... but you'll need need a single-family home. The issue, of course, is the dogs. I just ran a search of the Katy area and found several that would consider pets on a case-by-case basis. Expect to pay a significant deposit in addition to the security, much of which (if not all) will be non-refundable. Including the first month's rent, you may well need to come up with about $2500 or more. There are other locations that would fit your budget, but I'd have to contact each listing agent to determine whether two boxers would be acceptable. If you'll send me your e-mail address, I can begin forwarding listing for you to review. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@algeffon.com
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
Is this the same for similar areas in Houston? My email is abbienclayton@gmail.com
Flag Wed Aug 8, 2012
Depending on what part of town that you and your husband will be working, I am sure we can find you just the right place. Do you want a condo/townhome, or would you like a nice little house with yard?
I have bought sold and leased all over the Houston Metro area and can send you different searches for you to compare with. Check out my website and send me an e-mail, and WELCOME TO HOUSTON.