Rentals in San Jose>Question Details

Leaving Atla…, Renter in San Jose, CA

Would like to lease a condo at The 88, Axis or Plant 51. Something in the downtown area. Anyone know where to look for such listings?

Asked by Leaving Atlanta, San Jose, CA Sat Oct 29, 2011

Prefer a 2BD/2BA condo in the general area of downtown San Jose. Want upscale, urban living. I will eventually buy but since I am totally unfamiliar with particular areas, I would like to lease for 12 months before buying. In Atlanta, there are plenty of resources to find such properties for lease; I'm not having the same luck in SJC. Any words of wisdom or help would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated. Just looking for something really nice, spacious, upscale, urban. Will even consider a bigger 1 bedroom or 1 bedroom with a den. Thanks.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in San Jose

Answers

5
The developments you mention are fairly new and are still 'selling' units. You'd have to find a previous buyer who is now moving out and intends to rent/lease the property. Trulia has a wonderful RENT section here, Apartments.com is another good one as well as Craigslist http://sfbay.craigslist.org/ then click on sbay for South Bay Area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
Another option would be to tour the site yourself and ask the people who manage the tours "in-person" about rental opportunities. I've had very good experiences with this -- plus if you ever want to buy down the line, it doesn't hurt to meet the people at each place and see where you might want to stay.

I found at Plant51 the staff to be particularly helpful, and knew the rentals available plus the rental pricing, and also the staff at The 88 was great also. You may want to try to call frequently, like every week, as when a rental pops up, it can go quickly.

Let me know if you want to tour these spots to ultimately purchase. I love these downtown condos. They each have such a different & bright personality.

You can also search on craigslist for "downtown condos" but I find that kind of frustrating as I don't see rentals for these nice condos that often.

Erica
LA,

Your best bet is going to be the 360 Residence in downtown SJ. This complex is exclusive for rentals and has plenty inventory left for 2 bedrooms. They are starting at about $2900 per month though for the two bedrooms. Also, I have had clients that prefer the Santana Row rentals, again these are going to be high end rentals in a very nice area. If your interested I actually have helped renters into both these complexes and have been able to help negotiate some move in incentives. Not much but every little bit helps...

Danielle Contreras
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
Hi Leaving Atlanta,

I strongly agree with both Pat and Andrea. The property managers here in Santa Clara County are not all using our MLS to advertise their rentals. The 360 in Downtown is the only high-rise I know offering rentals. The client I have under contract on a beautiful condo in the AXIS discovered that with the downtown development funds for first time and lower income buyer his mortgage payment is going to be less than renting.

I digress as your question is to get familiar with the area first. Check out the 360 and do some research on Craigslist. If you want a resource to double check if it is a scam or not, contact me and I may be able to weed some of them out for you.

Isn't it nice to you know can have a local friend in the Real Estate Business?

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
I would suggest Craigslist as well. It is really the source for rentals, however, you really need to be aware of scams. When renting/leasing you want to check and ensure that the person you are working with is the owner and that they are not in default on their loan. I think it is a good idea to do leasing first to get familiar with the area. One of the developments on S 1st I believe is leasing now - they were trying to sell and their pricing was off so they turned to leasing.

Pat Chadwell, Broker
Realty World - Residential Specialists
Web Reference: http://patchadwell.com