Rentals in Houston>Question Details

Theo410, Renter in Houston, TX

Would it be possible for scammed listings to be posted on Trulia?

Asked by Theo410, Houston, TX Thu Aug 1, 2013

A listing was removed yesterday, but I was contacted this morning by the owner who resides out of the US

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Houston

Answers

14
Al Geffon’s answer
All this being said, however, sites such as this are rife with these posts ... and apparently folks are still falling for them.

The aegis is on Trulia moderators to identify and remove them ... it should be easy. My suggestion is that all non-Realtor-listed properties require positive identification of the poster, along with verification that he/she actually owns the property ... the HCAD documents should suffice.

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
They scam online sites like Trulia and Zillow all the time until someone flags them and they are removed. Wanting money up front or out of state or out of the country owners wanting money up front are common scams.
Thank you kindly for all your answers. The "owner" stated everything that you all shared. It is quite hilarious that he thinks people fall for this scheme - specially when grammar and sentence structure changes on every email he sends.

Ron Thomas, I would want them identified.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
Be very careful out there, especially on Rentals. There has been a rash of properties that get "scraped" off of other websites and re-posted bogusly on other sites.

If the price is too good to be true, then it isn't true.

Contact a Realtor to represent you as a Buyer rep no matter if you are purchasing or leasing.

It is of no cost to you.

Double check all listings on HAR.COM or go to the County Records to see who owns the property.

The Houston market is so hot right now, the scammers are crawling out of the woodwork, beware.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 1, 2013
Great answers from the other Realtors, if it is too good to be true, then it usually is. As one of the agents put it, Buyer Be Ware, that why you should always work with a reputable realtor before you give up any information.
It happens many times on Trulia and other web sites (ie Craigslist, Facebook).

Always work with a Realtor when looking for a home, to buy or lease. We can assist you with for sale or for lease by owner. We have a bit more experience and can help you figure out if your really working with a out-of-town home owner or a scammer.

Many folks for some reason want to go it alone, maybe trying to save money or something. But Realtors do this every day and keep you out of trouble and possibly save you some money. Let us know if we can assist you.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
All good responses. The bottom line is buyer beware! trust your gut, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!
Sounds like a scam.
Typical is I'm on a mission trip.
Send me the money by Western Union and I'll send you the keys.

Don't worry about any of the things you would normally worry about, I just want someone to take care of the house.

#1 SEE the house on the inside.
#2 Never send money by western union.
#3 Use a realtor
#4....dont be tempted if the price is too low.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Hello Theo,

There is a lot of scammed posted on Trulia & Zillow by folks outside of the US by stealing the Realtor listing and claiming to be on Mission work in S.America and you can drive by the home to take a look. Dont fall for it, get with a local Realtor when looking to Rent or Buy your home.

Dallas Best Mortgage is committed to helping our community and state achieve the American dream, one mortgage at a time. We offer state of the art technology designed to support moving transaction through to funding smoothly and dependably. We believe that each loan we receive isn’t just a transaction, but an opportunity to make every party in the transaction satisfied with their experience.
Our integrity and commitment to you as our client is of the utmost importance in reaching a successful closing for all parties. We realize our relationship with you our clients is as important as our relationship with our Lenders; our mission is to never let you down. Our staff members ensure this by making everyone look good. We believe that lending in today’s environment must be done with complete knowledge and complete objectivity. While we are all human, our decisions are guided by the facts rather than emotion.

We understand the importance of this financial decision and promise to provide you with timely updates and information. Clarity and communication are key elements in the partnership we share with our client– before, during and after your loan closes.

Dallas Best Mortgage offers the top mortgage products available in the market today. With low down payments, low interest rates, and reduced closing costs, our loan programs can help improve your financial situation. We also offer proprietary programs to help more borrowers get approved and special loan programs for real estate investors and foreign nationals.

Ranked by D Magazine’s as Best Mortgage Professionals in Dallas, ranked as a Five Star Mortgage Professional published in Texas Monthly, ranked among the Largest residential lenders by Dallas Business Journal and rated A+ rating on BBB, Dallas Best Mortgage is the place to get your mortgage. Call Today

I look forward to working with you! And making your dreams a REALITY

Lowell Sterling
Mortgage Banker
NMLS# 968898
LSterling@DallasBestMortgage.com
1910 Firman Dr, Suite 104 | Richardson, TX 75081
Office: 972-480-9888 |Mobile 469-347-3572| Fax: 469-519-8765
Good for you! Protecting yourself from these individuals or con artists that put so much effort into doing wrong.
I agree with Persis... If you can't see inside of the property, do not rent.! Just as... If the potential tenant can not meet me, I do not rent. Also, it's good measure to to require seeing ID and copy of ID and copy of social security card before any lease sign.
You WANT Scams?
Or you want them identified?
Hello Theo,

"I reside out of the US" is a very typical scam. They generally request you send payment, look at the property from the outside because there is no one to show it to you as they are out of town; they have a very attractive price tag - too good to be true and it generally is.

Thank you for checking here on Trulia. I have seen quite a few questions about properties that are listed for rent but are not even available to begin with.

Persis
persis.realtor@gmail.com
713-294-7747
I have had heard about scams on both sides, one being the "potential tenants" end and the other being someone representing a home they do not have authority to rent. It is always best measure on both ends to meet in person at the property.
..Is it possible that the listing was removed to be renewed with updates by the owner or ad agency? There are many possibilities why a listing would be removed...
It's likely a scam. The "I'm a doctor working in Nigeria" line is often used. Don't believe it.