Rentals in 85385>Question Details

Taza Guru, Home Buyer in Sunnyvale, CA

Wondering pros and cons for renting to Section 8 tenants - please share specific do's and don'ts.

Asked by Taza Guru, Sunnyvale, CA Mon Oct 11, 2010

I am trying to buy an investment property that currently has a section 8 tenants in Arizona. In addition, the section 8 tenants are paying a few hundred dollars above the market price. I am a little confused about this.

I do not have experience with section 8 tenants so, I am wondering what are the pros and cons of renting to Section 8 tenants. Specifically,

a. If Section 8 tenants paying rents more than market price is normal
b. What are the pros and cons of renting Section 8 tenants
c. Are there any assurance that if the current tenants leaves and a new section 8 tenant would also pay the same higher rent
d. Do we still need a property manager or if the state will handle that and charge us in the event of repairs

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 85385

Answers

2
I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Pro: Higher rent, and always in your account by the 1st.

Cons: The general consensus is that the tenants are bad, but I have had pretty good luck. I have also had bad luck with non-section 8 tenants, so if I get the rent on time every monthand I keep the lines of communication open, usually they have been respectful of my property.
Web Reference: http://www.SearchAZmls.com
Not alway in your account by the 1st. I worked for company that purchased a foreclosed complex and the rent wasn't paid for month. That includes the section 8 portion as well as the residents. It's pretty hard to evict a resident for non-payment when the payment should be coming from Section 8. In addition, the moniker of section 8 housing keeps many credit/income qualified prospects away from those properties. You take your chances with any rental prospect.
Flag Mon May 14, 2012
The number 1 pro isthe rent is there on time every month.

the number 1 con is if you get a bad tenant they can be costly in repairs and damages. they are very hard to get rid of if a problem.

I had 1 that her old boyfriend came over and broke down the door, i asked her to replace teh door, of course she couldnt, so i replaced it. 2 days later same thing... she turned me into sec 8 who withheld my rent for not fixing imediately, now it happened during the night and i had it fixed by 10 am that morning.. the next week all the windows got broken out... so when they are good they are real good but when they are bad, they are real bad, there doesnt seem to be a middle