Rentals in South Beach>Question Details

Robocat, Renter in South Beach, San Fra...

Why are month-to-month leases in San Francisco cheaper? Are these sublet situations?

Asked by Robocat, South Beach, San Francisco, CA Sun Jul 24, 2011

Answers

6
Simone Koga’s answer
I frequently find the opposite to be true. I'd be interested in knowing where you're seeing these listings. Most people charge more rent for shorter term leases, to make up for the vacancy factor. I just did a quick Craigslist search and couldn't find anything in the newer buildings/condos with that much square footage for anywhere near that price. A few places were rooms for rent within larger condos, and there were a few that posted $1600/week. I'd love to talk to the people who are renting out at those rates, who knows what they're thinking.
Hello Ms Robocat!
It may not be so much about the terms of the lease as it is the building. In South Beach and SOMA, for example, buildings like 201 Harrison or Cubix have some tiny little living spaces that will naturally rent for far less than a larger, more traditional loft space or condo. That's my best theory. If you think its something else, let me know and we can try to figure it out together.
Web Reference: http://sfrebuzz.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 24, 2011
Rent control - Advice from previous answers is good.
Well a few of the places I looked at with unexpectedly lower rents were in Tendernob, SOMA, South Beach, and were all in the 1000+ sq ft range. And they were in newer buildings/condos. Price range was $1650-2100, which seems really cheap to me. I'm just wondering what the catch is and if they will jack up the rent once I'm in there.
San Francisco, has an extremely stringent rent control policy
And it is very hard to change tenants on a long term lease.

Hence, month to month leases are preferred by land lords.

Perry

Perry
Perry / Ruth, As a follow up question, when an unit is under rent control, do the renter(s) income need to be under some kind of upper limit?
Flag Wed Feb 12, 2014