Rentals in Garden Grove>Question Details

Tcasaus, Renter in Fullerton, CA

Who provides Trulia with the leads because they are scams? Why would you give email address to scam rental artists?

Asked by Tcasaus, Fullerton, CA Mon Oct 22, 2012

I have responded to 3 of your listings on here and the response are scams. It took me less than 10 minutes in research on internet to find that the house was not for rent at all or was being offered my realtor with major differences in cost and have exclusive listings, who tell you that they are being scammed everyday. I got one of those sob story "need someone trustworthy to take care of my house because I am in another country" letters. I have wasted my time on rentals that do not exist and now have my privacy invaded by your firm giving out my information to listings you have no idea about or maybe you do and are part of the scam. At any case shame on your business for either it's incompetence or outright attempt to scam people or both. Who owns Trulia and controls it?

Answers

4
Have you tried to contact anyone directly at Trulia? You may want to contact emily@trulia.com. She's great at dealing with these issues. Unfortunately as other RE professionals have so aptly stated. There's not much Trulia can do to protect you.

However, pleas rest assured that Trulia is not part of any scam conspiracy. You may want to do a little research on them before making such glaring accusations. Here's their stock trading ticker symbol TRLA.

Also, as others have mentioned, you may want to consider using a RE professional to help you locate a suitable and realistic rental. It seems as though you are being lulled into unrealistic rental opportunities which is exactly how folks get stung. If it sounds to good to be true run the other way. A good RE pro would not lead you down that path.
The problem with all portal sites like Trulia and Zillow is that anyone can post a listing, not just licensed agents. I understand your frustration. Many of my listings have been used by scammers to try to steal money from would be renters. I'm glad you weren't taken advantage of.
You may like my 2 blog postings here on Trulia called - RED FLAGS - RENTAL SCAMS - PUBLIC BEWARE

This is all I can do to safeguard unsuspecting tenants looking for rentals. Trulia has no way of knowing who's the scammer & who isn't & it's too time consuming for them to scour through every new rental listing that is uploaded to see which one might be real & which one might be the scammer.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Trulia does not list homes, they are like a newspaper where people can list homes for rent or sale. With home sales there are protections that agents have to be licensed in order to protect from scams. In rentals someone just has to claim to be a landlord. There is a rash of scams that people overseas are taking homes for sale, turning them into rentals at half price and asking people to wore money to say Africa. As fast as the scams are removed new ones are being posted under a new name. The best thing a person can do is to work with local agents and to avoid anything that looks to good to be true, do not rent a home sight unseen and never wire money for a rental. They need to change their policy of who can list rentals to stop teh scams