Question Details

Karishma Sha…, Renter in Outside U.S.

Which areas of NJ are walkable, lively with busy neighborhoods, cafes, restaurants, shopping, etc?

Asked by Karishma Sharma, Outside U.S. Tue Jul 24, 2012

I'm moving from Toronto, ON to NJ and have just started looking to rent in a neighborhood that wouldn't be too suburban for someone who enjoys the city life. I don't have any specific areas in mind yet because I don't know much of NJ. I would love to live in a walkable neighborhood/town with some vibrancy, with a "life" of its own, that's preferably well-connected to NYC as well; perhaps a 2-3 bedroom condo/duplex (maybe with some character...?). I do have a somewhat specific idea of what I'm looking for but I hope I'm not asking for too much!
Any help would be very much appreciated!
If you'd like more info, do ask me as I'm not sure what one might need to know to be able to help.
Thank you very much!

Answers

3
Suzanne MacDowell’s answer
Hi Karishma,

The answer to your question depends a great deal on your life style and interests. I live in Morris County. We have a wonderful community here with theatres, parks, historical sites, fabulous restaurants and shops, and museums. Morristown, our County Seat, is one of the most walkable towns I know. It's very much as you describe, all the benefits of city life but with the added benefit of being in the suburbs AND less than 30 minutes to New York City by train! As far as Condos and Townhouses, you could have your pick with some of the more upscale units having been converted from gorgeous old mansions into townhouses and condos.

If Morristown is too busy for you, you can try the neighboring communities of Chatham, Madison and Morris Plains, all have very nice Main Street areas that are quite walkable and have their own style and character. Madison hosts Drew University as well as Fairleigh Dickinson University and is the home of the New Jersey Shakespeare theatre, my personal favorite! And all three have lovely shops and restaurants lining their 'Main Street" areas, as well as commuter train stations that are convenient to just about everything.

If Morristown is not to your liking, you may also want to try Summit in Union County or Montclair in Essex County. Both vibrant cities with trains to the city and walkable downtown areas.

New Jersey is a wonderful place to live, in fact I think it's an absolute paradise! You are never more than an hour or two from anything, including the ocean, the mountains, and New York City and only two hours from Philadlephia, four hours from Washington DC and Boston, six hours to Virginia Beach and so on. There is just so much on our East Coast here in the US to enjoy and all of it close by! You're going to love it here!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 24, 2012
Hi Suzanne,

Thank you very much for such a detailed response!

Morristown does sound like the kind of place I'm hoping to live in. Another criterion was that the place should be within 50 miles of Manalapan, where I work, and this fits that bill too.

From what you've mentioned, the other towns seem interesting too so there appears to be quite a bit that I can look into at the moment.

I'm looking forward to moving to New Jersey, provided I'm successful and satisfied with this search! Thank you again for your helpful advice!
Flag Tue Jul 24, 2012
Welcome!!!!
There are sooo many.
Fort Lee, Ridgewood, Fair Lawn and on .....Hoboken,
Knowing your budget would help you and a Realtor, do you have a pet?
Some Landlords do not allow to have any pets.

Let me know if I can be any help.
LALI NANIDZHANYAN
Sales Associate,SFR
NJ Circle of Excellence 2006, 2008, 2011

Prominent Properties Sotheby's

Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417
201-848-4002 office
917-331-3733 cell

http://www.lalinani.com/

Marketing New Jersey Real Estate at the Highest Level
Summit, Westfield, and Morristown are out primary urban/suburban centers. Other great, and highly in demand communities are Chatham and Madison.

Rentals are moving fast, particularly in these communities. Happy to be of service....

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results