Rentals in Washington>Question Details

Megan Rhodes, Home Buyer in Rockville, MD

Where's the best place for recent graduates to live in the DC Metro Area? Assuming they're making 30-35,000 a year?

Asked by Megan Rhodes, Rockville, MD Sat Feb 22, 2014

Answers

5
Part of the answer depends on where you'll be working. If you're going to be working in Northern Virginia, then you can look pretty far out in Northern Virginia (Centreville, Manassas, or beyond). If you're going to be working in Maryland, you can look 25-40 miles outside of D.C. on the Maryland side. What you don't want to do is live in Fredericksburg or Manassas and work in Prince George's County. Or live in Columbia and work at Tyson's Corner.

You might also consider having a roommate or two. That can cut down your costs substantially.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hi Megan,

As Lanre stated before it will depend on if you're looking to rent or buy. I myself used to live in Rockville and depending on if you want to rent or buy, the prices for rent can be the same however for buying the prices can be somewhat different.

If you'd like to search for the most recent homes on the market please feel free to check out my teams website: choicerealestate.net

or reach out to me!

Bola Williams
Real Estate Adviser
KW Capital Properties
240-723-1822
I'm confused. Do you want to rent or buy? If you want to buy,You definitely want to first talk to a lender. If you need some referrals,I would be more than happy to refer you to some.
I have a 1 BR condo for sale in Falls Church, VA. It was actually my seller's first place out of college herself--a great starter place--so close to DC and metro and so affordable at 159,000. With an FHA loan the monthly payments are about what you would pay in rent! There are places out there for young people starting out! You just have to know who to ask! :)
You will find Wash DC area an expensive place to live and so those not making a ton of money often move to the outlying areas of DC. Fredericksburg, Stafford, Haymarket and other areas 45-60 min away are less expensive and might be where you need to look.