Rentals in Atlanta>Question Details

Matt Boyd, Home Buyer in R Circle J Estates,...

Where in Atlanta would be best?

Asked by Matt Boyd, R Circle J Estates, Yuma, AZ Fri Mar 7, 2014

I'm looking at moving to Atlanta for a job in which I'd be responsible for sales in GA/AL/MS/LA. I'd probably be spending 2 weeks a month in the Atlanta area, one week in LA, and then the other week would be rotating. During the day I'd be drving around to various locations throughout the city, though it looks like most of them would be in the OP burbs.

I'd like to limit as best as possible the exposure to the normal flow of rush hour traffic and am pretty open to location. I have no kids to worry about for school, I'm a 40 year old single male, and would really like to rent for at least a year to get to know the lay of the land. Apartment or condo would be my preference as I don't know anyone down there and would like to be around other people to try and make some friends. My budget would be around $2000/mo.

Any suggestions?

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Atlanta

Answers

6
Thanks for the prompt responses. I've been living in Richmond my whole life and the idea of moving has been a tough one to accept, but the job offer is almost too good to pass up. Having to start over again from a social standpoint is very daunting!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2014
This is a mindset thing, man. Don't focus on the "daunting" part...
Flag Sat Mar 8, 2014
Very thorough description Matt...I am a single guy with no kids myself and a great area socially and economically is Smyrna/Vinings or East Atlanta. You are about twenty minutes from the airport, 15 from downtown, right at I-285 and I-75 for both and also I-20 for east Atlanta) and near TONS of great food, shopping and entertainment. Anywhere near the city is going to have rush hour traffic but both places start you closer to the more important places than most other areas without you being right in the middle of it all (i.e. downtown, midtown, Buckhead) if that makes sense. When you are ready to purchase (6 months to a year) trust me to get you pre-approved and we will set you up with a stellar agent to get you the best deal at the best price.

Wesley Murphy | Senior Loan Officer | nmls# 217721 | ga# 26009
1000 Mansell Exchange W, Suite 270 Alpharetta, GA 30022
direct (404) 585-0249 | efax (678) 823-8202
http://www.TeamMurphyLoans.com
Wesley.Murphy@Supremelending.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2014
Michael is right - the anti-commute is one way to feel good about living Intown yet needing to commute to the OTP exurbs. Quite often, it's the commuters going the other way that look down on you with disdain because you have more flow to your traffic!

For you, consider northern Buckhead and Brookhaven, over to Chastain Park and you'll have a variety of choices in your range.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2014
Hmmm... Atlanta has many so areas to chose from and they are all different, and so are the price points. Best to research the areas, ask the people your working with/ meeting each day, the recommend areas that may work best for you. Personal experience with someone who even kinda knows you can go a long way, and that lives in the areas can best direct you.

Also google the areas as you may not like or you may find some place you love once you read about it, and when your driving around when you see an area you like stop in any real estate office and they can let you know the climate and prices in the area.

I know its a lot of work, yet we can not recommend areas for you as we won't know what you like and don't... most landlords will want a year lease, and the best hang outs to meet people.Hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2014
Thank you!
Flag Fri Mar 7, 2014
Consider living in town, Matt, in a townhome or condo, and having the morning traffic coming at you on the other side of the expressway as you breeze out to the burbs. Should have a similar path returning in the afternoon, depending on where you end your day. Please call, email or text if we can help further. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5399
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2014
Thanks Michael - I've been trying to follow some of the traffic on Google Maps. It looks like leaving from Midtown in the morning heading to the burbs isn't bad at all, but coming back in the afternoon there's a ton of traffic. Weird that it's only coming back and not heading out.

I was down there a few weeks ago to look around for the weekend and looked at a couple of the places in Town Brookhaven. That seems like it'd be a nice place to be for meeting people. Also, I took a quick peek at the Windsor @ Midtown right next to Piedmont Park. That seems like it'd have the best highway access while being close to a MARTA stop.. which I'm gathering I'd probably only use for getting to the airport and back.
Flag Fri Mar 7, 2014
Sounds like you would want something in town and close;
And too you're willing to pay something in the range of $2000 a month

I would suggest the Downtown or Midtown areas, I think that they'd best fit your pocket book, well night life scene!!

Good Luck with your relocation to Atlanta,
and I hope that this help or t let gets you pointed in the right direction!!

Jermaine