Rentals in Philadelphia>Question Details

Ash, Renter in Philadelphia, PA

Where can I find apartments for rent that don't require a credit check?

Asked by Ash, Philadelphia, PA Sat Apr 16, 2011

Answers

21
Keisha,

You should read below to see all the other answers to your very same question.

Good Luck.

Larry
its always a negotiation with the landlord. I have several clients that just prepay 6 months up front.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 17, 2011
Hi I just had an a apartpent deny me because of my credit score being too low and credit report basically sucks. Help!!!!
Flag Mon Jul 13, 2015
Hi Bruce, my hubby and I are looking to prepay 6 months up front depending upon the monthly rent. Can you find us a place in the Philly area? Call me at 770-548-2372 and my name is Robyn.
Flag Tue Mar 4, 2014
Honesty is the best policy! Tell the landlord or agent why you have a credit issue and what you are doing about it. Proof of Sufficient Income, money in the bank and/or references will compensate for most credit problems. Ask yourself, "Would I rent an apartment to me?" If the answer is Yes, be ready to say why. If the answer is No...

I just helped a client with serious credit problems. We negotiated a 6 month lease, paid in advance with an option to extend for 2 additional 6 month terms.

There are places that don't require credit check BUT you probably wouldn't want to live there! I met a guy who rents rooms in North Philly with no credit check. Of course, he doesn't actually own the building...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 16, 2011
Ash,
That is like asking a bank to lend you money when you are unemployed. Especially in this economy, Landlords are even more careful about performing credit checks on their applicants. Landlords need to be certain that tenants have the ability to get all utilities put in their name. Chances are if there are collection accounts from utility companies on an applicants credit profile, then those balances must usually be paid off prior to activating a new account. Depending on an applicants financial situation, he/she may not be prepared to do all that.

I would suggest that you be honest and upfront with any potential landlord about any negative lines on your credit history. With good references from present and previous landlords, stable work history with sufficient income, and a reasonable Debt-Income ratio, you may sometimes be able to offset the bad credit. You can always offer to pay another month or two rent as additional security deposit. Good luck with your search.
Web Reference: http://www.DJCRE.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 16, 2011
Perhaps you can help me. I had perfect credit, work history, home ownership for 25 yrs. Due to 3 surgeries, divorce, in went chap 13 in 2010. I have sufficient income to rent 830 a month and can pay a few months up front, and have rent deducted from my bank. Im looking in your area and surrounding areas that are safe. I want a studio or 1 BR. My name is gayle smith 609-225-1048. I need to move asap. Hope you can help. Thank you. I am 63 and retired due to physical problems.
Flag Sun Nov 29, 2015
Here can I find a house or apartment that don't ask for a credit check
just lost apartment need a new apartment in charlotte nc a place that do check credit cause an eviction is about to be on my credit do to I lost my job now have another need a place to stay
Where can I fine these houses
They will all want to have a credit check as it reflects your charter as a person, if you pay or not. If you rent a room from a private person that would be the only way a round one...
No, these days most households that are renting a room out, are wanting credit checks, employment verifications (even if they KNOW they rent to STUDENTS) and landlord referneces (again, even from students.) These days you can't even seem to rent a room without being asked for credit checks, employer and landlord references. Even around college campuses, even if you ARE a student.
Flag Tue Mar 31, 2015
how to find a apartment that doesn't require a credit check in enid , ok
Landlords ask for credit check because if a tenant damages the property, or fails to pay the rent required to live in it, the landlord may be left with extra expenses related to the property. A landlord wants to ensure that he selects a responsible tenant who will take care of his property and pay the rent on time.By checking credit check on tenant give landlord a to learn more about tenant’s past rentals and give reasons to trust him.

If you need help call us !!!
I represent landlords and would never rent an apartment to anyone without a credit check. I don't know of any landlord who would do this.
Me and my fiance are looking to rent a apartment,but our credit is bad,we are currently in a room,and we are paying 650.it is to much for a room.we could rent a house for that much.the land lord does not do anything.could someone please help.thanks.my contact number is 2676227412.ask for Demetrius.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 29, 2013
They are all over. Just call and ask. Honesty is best. If you need help call me.
So many people have been affected by the economic downturn that most landlords realize that many people who need rentals either lost their homes in foreclosures or short sales. So the best thing to do is to figure out what you can realistically afford and prepare a statement to present to the potential landlord how you can afford to make the payments comfortably.
That's really sad. I had my dream home for over 20 years. After putting over 100,000 into it. Realtors suck. I walked away with 900.00 lousy dollars. In a 2 bedroom condo, horrible credit. Blame the government, and blame realtor commission. They made over 20 grand from my house. Just become a realtor. It's not rocket science.
Flag Sat May 21, 2016
Hi Ash
Just be honest with the landlord about youjr credit. IF you pay a security deposit plus first month and last month it might ease there mind. Best of luck to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
where can i find apartments that dont do credit check
Wish you good luck. Check with apartment complexes or on craigs list. I do not know of any agents who will not require a credit check when they work for landlords. Do you have your credit report? can you explain why it is not good? Do you have extra amount for security deposit ?
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Hi, One site is Craigslist.com, check the for rent by owner section.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Ash,

I agee with Larry, most of the landlords check not only credit report, but also eviction, criminal record, current sufficient income, etc. You may pull out your own credit report on line and go over with credit repair/counseling agent to set up a repair plan. It depends on how much balance, how old and how many negative factors in your report. If you could show strong and stable current income or cancelled checks/record of last 6-12 months rent , substantial improvement in your current finance/situation, some of the landlord might consider your application if you would like to take the chances. I just helped a couple sign a lease when both of their credit scores are close to 550, substantial income increase in the last 6 months and just enrolled with credit repair program. It's a very competative market now and each landlord has different standard requirement for credit score. Some of them even require 650 above!
Please feel free to contact me via email eqhw2002@gmail.com or cell 267-254-4405.
Emily
I don't know of a landlord in my area who would rent to someone without checking credit and/or a tenant's references. It's too risky.