Rentals in Augusta>Question Details

Samantha Thi…, Renter in Augusta, ME

Where can I find Landlords/Property Managers who will accept Section 8?

Asked by Samantha Thibodeau, Augusta, ME Fri Jul 16, 2010

I am looking for a 3-4 bedroom house to rent; I have good references, I am employed, and I have a Section 8 Voucher. I am having a difficult time finding single-family homes to rent in which the landlord/property manager will accept Section 8. If anyone knows of property management groups or landlords that will accept Section 8 please respond!
Thanks!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Augusta

Answers

16
In the past, Augusta Housing Authority has kept a list of landlords who accept Section 8. Not sure if they still do, but worth a shot.
Janie Lee I'm look for a 5/6 be house in surroundn Delaware County pa My voucher is worth $1,700 I've had it for 24 yes.I'm a siigle mother.tryn move asap. Thank you .
Looking for home in country that accepts section 8 .
I looking apartment 1 bedroom, but I don't know which the landlord/property manager will accept Section 8, I looking Westminster city , costa mesa , midway city If anyone knows of prop
erty management groups or landlords that will accept Section 8 please respond!. Thanks
Please assist me with information of what Property Managers/Landlord owners who will accept Section 8 Housing for a 1Bdrm Apt. , House, Duplex in my region. Asked by Ann, NLR/LR, Arkansas. March 27, 2014.
Im looking for a 3 bedroom home that takes section 8 in ventura
I am looking for a 3 bedroom house to rent i have good refrences and i have a section 8 voucher i am having a hard time finding a single family home if anyone knows of a lanlord that will accept the section 8 voucherplease respond thanks
looking for renals sec 8 houses in the winter park fla area 32789 please help me out thanks
Flag Sat Feb 8, 2014
Are there anyone in Tulsa Oklahoma who is accepting section 8?. Email me at delanaedwards85@gmail.com
Thanks u!
i am looking for 3bedroom first floor or single house in auburn ,ME ,aim student @ USM also i have section8 voucher we are family 2 adult ,3 kids move in 12/30
Hi Samantha,
I have a 3 bedroom apartment for rent in Augusta and I do accept section 8. Please give me a call if you would like additional info.
Rita
207-931-9335
I am having the same problem, finding a landlord or even realator that will get back to me once i find a place that looks appealing to me on craigslist. I asked my landlord were i am living now and she turned me down and stated that she cant accept it at this time. So looks like I am moving. But I can not find a place. Can someone please guide me in the correct direction. Thank you, Allison
Hi Samantha

Hi my name is Darlene and I can offer a suggestion. Beleive it or not you can go on Craig's list and put in your state and city then all your specifics like bedrooms etc or section 8. I can tell you from experience because I found mine that way in Pennsylvania. I am sure they have some in Augusta, ME And I was told that my voucher was good just about everywhere you would want to move. Check that info out with housing.

Check those with pics first so you see what you will be looking at and take someone with you to be safe.

Hope this was helpful
Good Luck with your search

God Bless You
Darlene
It is illegal for a landlord to turn down a renter because s/he has Section 8. All landlords, therefore, by definition take Section 8 - or are supposed to.

We've always liked Section 8, since we know we'll get paid - unlike with some non-Section 8 tenants!

The problem is that Section 8 just plain does not pay enough to allow a tenant to live in most single family homes or better apartments. We've had several tenants ask about renting one of the properties we're leasing; hoping they can get us to reduce the price to a low enough figure that Section 8 will pay it.

Almost never can that be done... particularly in today's economy, the owner is often only renting the property for just enough to cover PITI (principal, interest, taxes and insurance), and to put aside some extra for major repairs. We know it's hard for renters to understand the finances of rental properties... heck, we've even had such renters tell us we have a "moral obligation" to reduce the rent for them!

So then the Section 8 tenant hopes that maybe our landlords will let them pay the difference between what Section 8 pays, and the posted rent. Again, this can't be done... it's illegal. (We've had Section 8 renters plead with us, saying they promise not to tell. Doesn't matter. It's illegal. End of story.)

We understand how frustrating it can be to want to rent a house or a better apartment, only to be blocked by the law as in the two examples above.

We also understand how frustrating it must be to have landlords turn you down, for whatever reason.

As I said above, we're happy to work with Section 8 tenants... as long as we have properties that Section 8 will pay the going monthly rate for.

Linda Snyder
On the Spot Rentals
207 / 740.2247
Hi Samantha,
We have a partner, Riverport Company, that does property management and works with section 8. Please call Jim Knight at 841-5403 and leave a message. We are located in the Bath, Brunsiwck, Wiscasset regions.
Nancy Carleton, Roy Farmer Associates/ Carleton Group
Samantha
Asset Real Estate Management, 1 Orchard St., Augusta has various apartments for rent inthe area and works with Section8. Call Mike Lee at 622-0066. Thanks Bruce Holmes, Pres. century 21 Venture LTD
Hi Samantha,

I don't know what the Augusta rental market looks like. On the MidCoast I would have you go to the Penquis office and speak with a counselor there to direct you to Section 8 landlords. So, what I would suggest would be to call a Realtor in Augusta whom you know, and ask them the same question. If you don't know a good Realtor in Augusta, I would call Earle Kenney at Sprague and Curtis. His phone number is 623-1123.

If I can be of any more help, please feel free to give me a call at 975-9330 or e-mail me at steve@TheMidCoastGroup.com.

Blessings!!
Steven M. Dyer, CRS
50 Sewall St., 2nd Floor
Portland, ME 04102
207.975.9330