Rentals in Ocean City>Question Details

Debra Persia…, Other/Just Looking in Plano, TX

When you are scammed by a Realtor Broker on a vacation rental property and file a local grievance with the Board of Realtors in NJ what happens?

Asked by Debra Persiano, Plano, TX Mon Aug 2, 2010

I rented a place online for OC NJ and the Broker/Realtor advertized "Great, shows good, has all the Goodies" and I spent $4000.00 dollars between rental for 2 wks. deposits etc. I get to the place and it was a "MESS" more then just a mess ..it was roach infested ..it was dirty beyond what you could image ...it was so bad I cried and what makes this worst I ask him to do the right the thing get me and family out of this HELL hole. He was the Broker/Agent and homeowner on the property. I filed a complaint with the local Board of Realtors with evidence, pic's videos etc. It was so stressful I was take to the hospital & admitted to the Cardiac unit ..we had to rent another property which made me and my husband out of pocket almost $9,000 or more what a mess what do you think I can do ..he is going to be find guilty ..honestly the evidence is hard and true ..he is a slum lord ..he is unethical and dishonest ..I am so upset ..he stole my vacation and my money.

Answers

3
I add my voice to those who are apologizing for the terrible experience you had here in Ocean City! Ocean City is famous for it's clean streets, beaches and friendly people who care. What a shame you had to rent from a "rotten apple". As realtors we have a vested interest in making sure our clients are happy and satisfied and will RETURN THE NEXT YEAR! I hope you don't give up on Ocean City as it is a great place to live and vacation. It sounds like you have done all the right things, documenting with photos, filing a complaint with the OC board etc. I wish you success in winning some money and satisfaction for your situation! In the future, check out your agent's profile on Trulia.com! if I can help you have a better experience in the future, please contact me!
Joanne Bernardini
Sales Associate
Certified Short Sale Agent
Coldwell Banker- Casa Bella Realtors
609-947-2451
HI Debra,
I am sorry that you had such a terrible experience in Ocean City. The fact that the Broker/Realtor was also the property owner cut off one avenue of complaint, which would be to turn to the booking agent for help. DId you find out if the Broker/Realtor was also the broker of record for the agency you booked through? If not, you may try appealing to the head of the brokerage for help. Businesses do not like to have unhappy customers, and although you may not get what you want, you should at least be listened to with empathy and a desire to help. If you were within Ocean City, the local board is the Ocean City Board of Realtors http://(www.ocbor.com, 609-399-0128). You may want to call them for an update. I am not an attorney, but you can also explore suing in small claims court to recover part of your expenditures. In NJ if the claim is over $3,000 it gets more complicated; below that number is small claims; above it, up to $15,000, is special civil. I have included a web link to the self-help center for New Jersey courts so you can see what it might take for you to file a claim yourself.

Please try Ocean City again. There are lots of reputable realtors here and some great vacation rentals!

Joan Farrell
Monihan Realty Inc.
http://www.joanfarrell.com
Dear Ms. Persiano:
First, I am sorry for what you are going through. There are a few in every industry that will do what they can to scam, but 99% of Realtors are hard working, caring people.
There are two ways to go after this particular character. First is to request an investigation by the real estate commission in which the link below is provided.
The next is to file an ethics complaint with the local real estate board who has processes to follow but is very pro-active in the pursuit of what is right for the public. Because I do not know where the Realtor is, I cannot direct you. You may want to visit http://www.njar.com for that info.
If found that the company has done wrong there are fines, levies, loss of license, etc that would be incurred. And of course you have the ability to litigate and hopefully recover damages if they are found guilty.
I wish you good luck.
Jeffrey