Rentals in Houston>Question Details

Ahopkins, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

When are pit bulls gonna be accepted everywhere??? DO you know how hard it is to find a rental with two of them?? My dogs are as nice as can be!!

Asked by Ahopkins, Houston, TX Fri Oct 16, 2009

But noo.. since they are named "Pit Bull" I get.. DECLINED!

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Houston

Answers

10
The problem with is probably not with your landlord, or that they are probably the sweetest dogs, the problem is with insurance companies as most will NOT insure a home is the owner has a pitbull on the premise. If they do insure it, their insurance premium goes up. Pitbulls may have a bad wrap due to some irresponsible owners who raise them to be vicious. Your best bet is to find an insurance company who will give you renters insurance INCLUDING the pitbulls, and then present this in the lease negotiations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 16, 2009
I understand your grief! I am a dog trainer, and an owner of a pit bull. Finding housing is ridiculous! I can find housing, but it is at premium. Landlords know they have the pit owns by the neck; therefore, they double the price of normal rent! In Texas it is supposed to be against the law to be breed specific, but all apartments are! As for insurance, I carry it for the dog and insurance companies do cover pits; therefore, insurance is not the problem. I wish people would stop assuming that the dog is the criminal! There are more bits per year done by small breed dogs than pits. Pits get the blame for biting when in actuality it was a mixed breed dog and not a pit. In actuality only 1 per was actual a pit bite out of the 300 police reported dog bites. It is time people stop going on rumor and get the facts correct! It is time to look at the owners. Mean dogs are created by owners and pit fighting. In general pits are none violent towards humans. Also, to the person who says why don't you buy a house! Easier said than done. You must have a down payment, have credit, not be a college student and have reportable income.
Ahopkins in Ohio pit bulls are by law defined as a vicious breed.
Ohio revised code 955.11
Web Reference: http://www.Find1Home.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 21, 2009
Putting aside the "when," . . . WHY?
You should buy instead of rent :)
They will be accepted everywhere with no problems once we get rid of all lawyers. Do not hold your breath.

No one wants to bring anything or anyone onto their property that is likely to be a reason to have their insurance costs increase or even be made unavailable. A buddy of mine has 2 pit bulls. One is sweet as can be. The other would take a leg off. The problem is you never know what will set this breed of animal off. It might never happen, it could be a small kid acting normally looking like prey to the dog. And yes, you can have great dogs, but others have proved this breed to be a financial liability so many refuse to allow them.
J Lo is correct on this one. I myself own a pit bull and although he's as nice as can be with kids and adults it simply comes down to insurance. My insurance jumped a bit when I renewed my policy and told them I had a pit bull. Studies that were conducted over a 20 year period show that 74% of all dog attacks on humans were from either the Pit Bull Terrier or Rottweiler breed. Although my dog is very nice and I'm sure yours are as well, you can't ignore the numbers.

Also keep in mind that EVERY pet owner always says "my dog is so sweet and quiet and never barks or destroys anything". The best bet for you (if you are renting) is to actually offer to bring your dogs over to the owners property so they can see how your dogs really act.
Dog owners living in public housing are glad that the New York City Housing Authority has withdrawn its list of breeds that are banned. But a group that advocates for public housing residents still wants NYCHA to consult with tenants on a policy to keep vicious dogs out of city housing developments. NYCHA notified tenants on Nov. 1 that it had withdrawn its unpopular pet policy that banned Dobermans, Rottweilers, pit bulls and any dog exceeding 25 pounds at maturity. The three banned breeds had been whittled down from a list of 26 that included Boston terriers.The new dog rules published Nov. 1 echo the previous pet policy: Dogs that exceed 40 pounds at maturity are banned, but there is no ban on any specific breed, said Sheila Stainback, a NYCHA spokesperson. Dog owners are still required to register their animals with the authority and the rules remain in effect until Jan. 31, 2010.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
The problem is two folds. One obviously is the "pit bull" reputation. The second is "an animal in general" Most of the homes that I helped rent comes with the same request from the landlord..no pets!...

Because of: Insurance reasons...maintance of home....barking problems...etc,,

Being an animal lover myself I can understand the frustration that one has with trying to find a roof over their head with having their dear pet with them.

Keep looking, maybe you will be lucky and find another person who has pit bulls and wouldn't mind renting to you.
My dogs are as nice as can be!!

That statement has been given at many crime scenes involving pit bulls mauling children.

Keep looking is all I can say. I wouldn't allow them on my property if I was a landlord just for the liability factor