Rentals in Los Angeles>Question Details

Catmhayes, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

Whats the process with international renters?

Asked by Catmhayes, Los Angeles, CA Sun Oct 10, 2010

We are moving to Los Angeles from Australia, are there any difficulties/ processes we should know about?

Help the community by answering this question:


When I am looking at applicants, the more organized and thorough the application is, the more comfortable I feel about making a decision. You can do a combination of things to help your application be a strong candidate. I suggest writing a 2-3 paragraph introduction letter to give a little background about who you are, the reason for your move, financial background, and a few sentences to personalize why you are interested in that particular unit.

I would then suggest you have a credit letter from your bank or a few current bank statements. You could also include a letter of reference from your current landlord in Australia. Many times a double security deposit or a few months rent up front will seal the deal. Make sure to have a copy of your passport/ visa or photo id on hand when you apply. If you are moving for a new job, also make sure to have the signed offer letter.

If you are looking in Santa Monica, Los Angeles or Silverlake please give us a call or view my website for current listings.


Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
1415 Stanford St., Suite #4| Santa Monica, CA 90404
Direct: (310) 828 - 3132 Fax: (310) 829 – 2079
DRE #01894323
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 19, 2011

I don't think there will be any complication if you can provide the landlord with proof of funds and good references. I have had many applications from out side of US or just establishing credit in US. I think it is very important that you be upfront with your agent and the landlord. Most landlords now are willing to work with the tenants. They might require you to put down a bigger deposit but all of the terms can be negotiated.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 11, 2010
Having a valid credit account such as visa or mastercard will help with setting up local accounts for utilities or cel phone. Email addresses for overseas references and contact info for local references will also help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 11, 2010
Hello Catmhayes,

Contrats on moving to LA. If you have a job in LA not problem. If you can provide a credit report even from Australia that should be able to help. A good amount of cash in your bank account never hurts.

If you need assistance let me know.


Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
(323) 899-2900
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
To catmhayes:

Ooops! Embarrassing omission from the answer I gave! Here's my email address:

That will work better than phone calling -- internationally, that is -- but if you need to skype or use online chat we can do that as well ...just give me a bit of notice for the online chat or phone call because I am not always next to a computer when I am showing properties.

Best to you.


Naia G. Waters
Realtor / Training Director
Prudential California Realty
3130 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100
Santa Monica, CA 90403
310.754.0172 cell
Lic #01823116
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
Hello -
I spent the first 14 years of my career helping international students who were relocating to the United States. This involved helping them find their housing (often rentals) and also helping them to find services and adjust to a new country. For most of those years, my employment was with the University of California in a well-respected position focusing only on people relocating internationally, and I worked with people from 42 different countries.

I'd be happy to help you to find a place and to understand any of the differences in process that occur between countries. The other man who answered about the credit check is correct, but generally your visa application process will have required that you provide quite a bit of information financially before you get your visa. Much of that same documentation can be relevant and useful to prove your ability to be a good renter to owners of homes.

Are you coming here for work? ...or for a job? ...or for short-term stay? From your question, it sounded like you are probably moving here for a longer time. When will you be moving? What are your needs for a home? What is your budget? Where within the large city/area of Los Angeles are you moving? In addition to the concerns about international process, these basic concerns (which are true everywhere) can be the hurdles to overcome, and I can assist you with those (understanding neighborhoods and making sure you find the best home for you).

What part of Australia are you from? Large city or outlying areas?

When will you be moving here?

Rather than discussing your personal details in public, feel free to contact me directly at my contact information below. I'm more than happy to adjust my schedule to be appropriate for your timezone, and would love to assist you if I can.

Naia G. Waters
Realtor / Mentor of New Licensees
Prudential California Realty
3130 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100
Santa Monica, CA 90403
310.754.0172 cell
Lic #01823116
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
Credit check mioght be a problem, it helps to have an employers letter stating your income and position. We can't run a "normal credit check on you and so the question will come up. good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer