Rentals in 60007>Question Details

Sandra, Renter in Mount Prospect, IL

Whats the best way to evaluate and choose a realtor to look at rentals?

Asked by Sandra, Mount Prospect, IL Wed Jun 19, 2013

I have well behaved dogs (good references, pictures as proof of multiple properties), good income, plenty of insurance, no evictions and I'm looking for a long term lease in a pretty targeted area.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in 60007

Answers

4
Many listings say that no pets are allowed but I find that a great majority of time when I call to ask if a dog or 2 will be considered the owner says it's ok. I think a lot of agents don't ask the owners and just put no pets as an easy way to finish the listing input! Sometimes the verbiage on the listing says something like "absolutely no pets" and I don't bother calling those agents.

Find an agent who will take that extra time to call each listing to inquire and who will push for you - but not pushy. Most properties that accept pets require a separate pet deposit - sometimes refundable and sometimes not.

The size of the dogs will also come into play. Perhaps the owner is willing to accept the dogs and the association has a size and quantity of dogs.

I like the rest of Suzanne's response below. When talking to agents, ask how many rentals they handle. Rentals don't pay agents very much for our time and gas so many agents don't want to work with renters. I have a couple agents I know who love rentals so if you need referrals let me know.
I would definitely be interested in a referral - thanks!
Flag Thu Jun 20, 2013
You need someone who is going to give you time and service and care about your goals. Only 20% of rentals typically allow pets, especially multiple pets. Tough for pet owners, but there are ways around that. Credit plays a big part too. Be honest and completely frank with your agent - that is the only way they can help get you to your goal. Talk to a couple on the phone and choose one to work with. With rentals, agents who work with landlords are often the best as they know both sides.
Contact a RE/MAX Suburban agent at either our Arlington Heights office (847) 577-9797, or our Mt Prospect office (847) 259-0202
Web Reference: http://remaxsuburban.com
Web Reference: http://remaxsuburban.com