Rentals in Fairbanks>Question Details

Annie, Renter in Fairbanks, AK

What will electric cost?

Asked by Annie, Fairbanks, AK Wed May 5, 2010

I'm possibly moving to Fairbanksto teach school and I'll need to rent. I see some prop include heat, but not electric. What will this cost me, say for 900 sq feet? Would I be better off finding something with electric included? Thank you

Answers

2
Annie,
Call or write the electric company. while they will not give you the specific billing information from the previous customers, they will give you their average monthly cost of what they used.
Hi, Annie
An average electric bill for a typical 900+/- sq. ft. apartment will be in the $50-$80 range... If you don't have a garage it will cost you an extra $20-$40 a month to run the electric block and oil pan heater on your car. Most landlords pay for heat because an entire apartment building is fired from one boiler or heating system and can't be separated by unit, where as each unit can (and usually does) have an electric meter. As for whether it's a better deal or not, I would prefer to pay my own electric (and be in control of it) than have a landlord guess how much I'll use and build it into the rent.
Jesse