Rentals in Chicago>Question Details

Lara Stone, Home Owner in Chicago, IL

What usually happens in terms of commission if a rental is for more than 12 months?

Asked by Lara Stone, Chicago, IL Sun Aug 12, 2012

One month as the commission for a 12 month rental seems to be the rule but what happens if the renters want to extend the lease in terms of extra commission?

1 vote Share Flag Rentals in Chicago

Answers

12
Its negotiable. I would speak with your agent. I would still only take the agreed 1 month rent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 12, 2012
That depends on the listing agreement.....and the agents involved with the transaction.

What does the listing state in regard to what you, as the tenant, will have to pay?
It should be stipulated in advance.

Personally, I don't look for another commission if the lease is extended, nor do I expect 2 commissions if it is a 2 year lease..........it's expensive enough for a tenant to come up with the commission, the first month's rent and the security deposit all at once, in advance of moving in (in my area we get 1.5 month's rent as security).

I see rentals as more of an accommodation, as my business is really based on sales and listings, so I am happy to help get someone settled in a new home.

What the expectation is in your area may be entirely diffrent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 12, 2012
If they renewed after the fact, then you probably don't owe your agent anymore money. However, if this is during the negotiation process and the listing agreement talks about pro ration, then yes you probably may owe more than 1 months rent. Just remember open and honest communication with your is the best way to resolve issues like this.
Usually it's prorated by the month, however it all depends on the listing agreement.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Broker Associate | Visionary

Innovative Property Consultants Team | Sales and Leasing

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
Lara - who is responsible for paying the commission?
the tenant, me.
Flag Mon Aug 13, 2012
pro rate and the renter can pay a fee also
"I don't know many Landords who are willing to pay more than one month's commission in this market,..."

In my market, the tenant pays the commission!
As an agent its in your interest to get your clients the best deal, not worry about extra commission on a longer lease.

Also, I don't know many Landords who are willing to pay more than one month's commission in this market, so if you want the deal to go through I think pursuing more $ will be a waste of your time.

Depends on your agreement with unit owner - often 1 1/2 months for 2 year lease.
Depends on your agreement with unit owner - often 1.5 months
yes, you just need to read the listing agreement, but I would not pay more than 1 mo commission, particularly if the tenants want to extend the lease at some point after the initial lease has been signed. If they want to renew the lease for a 2nd year the agent(s) get nothing.
Hello Lara,
It should be written into your rental listing agreement regarding what commission should be paid if the rental period exceeds the time frame on the original lease. Every real estate agency treats this differently so I suggest inquiring with your agent about it.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty