Rentals in Denver>Question Details

KC, Renter in Denver, CO

What type of business is best to work with when needing help finding a house to rent.?

Asked by KC, Denver, CO Tue Apr 26, 2011

My profile sort of outlines my current situation.

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Denver

Answers

7
Nina Kuhl’s answer
In Denver, most rental homes are still posted on Craigslist (can also use http://www.padmapper.com). If you know what area you are interested in living, drive around the neighborhoods and call from the "For Rent" signs. The rental market is very aggressive and rentals are going very quickly (Jon Roberts mentioned 1.5% vacancy) so make sure you have all your information to fill out a rental application and come prepared with a deposit.
Kristen,
Sean has some great advice below. To answer your question directly, there are not many (if any, I'm not aware of any) companies/brokers that represent renters. Property Management companies represent property owners.

Craigslist is by far the best resource I know available to you to find a property. But heads up: Vacancy Rates are EXTREMELY low right now. A Q1 2011 Report released this week has the vacancy rate for 1-4 Units (single family homes, duplexes, etc) at 1.5% in Denver. That is crazy low. Tons of demand for not a lot of supply.

Real Estate brokers are educated and licensed on leasing law. Most/none work in representing residential tenants becuase there is no/little money to be made. I might suggest that you find a friend who is a licensed Real Estate broker to help you review your lease and possibly help you negotiate. I know that I have done that for many friends in the past. If you do not know any licensed Real Estate brokers, shoot me an email and I'll assist you.
Web Reference: http://www.jonrroberts.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 26, 2011
This is a new market and there are only a few peope working it. Brenda Moore has been finding rentals for people for sometime now. If you would like her contact info. I would be happy to pass it on, thanks, Sean.
I think it's really a two part question. What neighborhood(s) do you want to to live in? If you have kids, that might be driven by quality of school district. Proximity to work or entertainment might be critical.

Once you know what area, then the second question is what building(s) in that area fit your needs, provide the amenities you want, and fit the budget.

I'd spend some time driving around different parts of the city if you have not answered question 1. When you have, then use Craigs List and general google searches to resolve the second question.
That would depend on your situation. Most large complexes have hoa fees and take care of water/sewer,some recreational facilities and such. They will require first and last month, plus a security deposit. That can be a steep fee to have to come up with at one time. Private renters,those investors buying to fix and rent, might have a lower fee to get you in but most likely, will not pay your sewer/water and in some cases cable t.v.More strict guidelines are followed with the big apt. complex atomosphere. I have found it easier to work with the privately owned investor who is renting a property until market comes back up...10 years or so...to get where they were a few years ago. You should see about renting to own and try to get something for your money. But be careful, if you do not follow strict guidelines, you could lose all the equity you build up with the landlord, which is what they are banking on.
Good morning Kristen!
Some people like to go to "for rent by owner" because they think they can save some money, sometimes it works, but a lot of times going without a realtor becomes into a big headache, specially talking about the rents. Due to the huge amounts of foreclosures, it is always good to work with a Realtor so he can find out for you the status of the house you want to rent, and make sure it is not going to foreclosure. You can do that yourself also, you can find that information in the public records of your county or county clerk. I would suggest you to find a Realtor with experience in your area. Have a great day!
As much as I hate to say it, Craigslist is probably the best place to start. You just have to be savvy. Realize that property management companies many times work for the Owner of the home, not the Renter, so you're already at a disadvantage. Add in that the leases are usually for the benefit of the Owner, not the Tenant.

I would try Craigslist, very carefully, I might add - DO NOT send money anywhere. Meet the owner there, check public records to make sure that the person you're dealing with is actually the owner, and then ask for a copy of the lease so you can review it. I would ask experienced friends for help reviewing the lease, maybe a real estate agent will help you (I'd be happy to review a lease for you for no charge).

Best of luck!