Rentals in Raleigh>Question Details

Trulia Ralei…, Other/Just Looking in Raleigh, NC

What should you do if your property manager ignores repeated complaints about needed repairs?

Asked by Trulia Raleigh, Raleigh, NC Tue Apr 16, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Rentals in Raleigh

Answers

3
Jo Barnes’ answer
It is frustrating when your Property Manager ignores repeated complaints about your needed repairs. After all , everyone wants to be heard when they have something important to say.

Now I am going to give you some great advice .......so write this down between your ears.......In the real estate business - if it's not in writing it didn't happen. Got it? Good! So pick up those pens and start writing those letters. The first one you write is to your Landlord (always send a copy and keep the original for your files) When you mail this letter, DO NOT drop it in the mailbox, instead you must send it registered mail with return receipt requested. The person at the post office will know what you are talking about if you simply say that you want the one with the "green card"

We know your Landlord is deaf but we are going to assume he can read. So when you write your letter be concise, state only the facts, date everything, and above all include a call to action. You must say what you want done to remedy the situation. And for example only ask for what you both agreed to in your written Lease Agreement. If your written Lease agreement has expired then you are on a "month-to-month". I'm going to give you some more great advice so listen up. If your written lease has expired , you are on a month to month. AND as long as you are living there the TERMS of that Lease NEVER expire. I say again....If your written Lease has expired AND you are still living there THEN you are on a month-to-month AND the TERMS of your written lease NEVER expire as long as you are living there.

That is important because LANDLORD must adhere to the terms of your lease concerning everything the terms of the lease cover. That applies to you too. I say again...that applies to you too. You MUST pay your rent according to the terms of the written lease. You CANNOT withhold rent for any reason. You MUST continue to pay rent, keep the place reasonably clean , not have wild parties , don't glue pictures to the wall , you know.

When you get the little green card back from the letter you mailed keep it in a safe place. Continue to pay rent . In 7 to 10 days if the Landlord hasn't fixed the problem(s). Get your camera out and start taking pictures. Keep a written journal with supporting documents and pictures and /or videos. Write , copy, and mail certified or registered mail another letter.

Again and finally in 7 to 10 days do the same thing again. If your Landlord does not respond then number one.....keep paying rent and number two ...go to the NC Real Estate Website under "forms" and fill out the consumer complaint form and send it along with your copies of correspondence and proof of mailing and pictures to the NC Real Estate Commission.

I'm about to say something great again! After you have filed a complaint with the NCREC , then CALL the Real Estate Commission and say these words...........I'd like to speak to someone in "Audit and Investigations" please. And when that person comes to the phone , tell them your complaints about much needed repairs. THEY WILL NOT IGNORE YOU !
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 17, 2013
Getting to know your property manager and obtaining good references is so important before you hire a company. Ask around for suggestions. If your home is in Raleigh check out this company, several of my clients are currently using them and I am getting great feedback:

Jim O’Brien
Owner/Director of Management
Oak City Properties

100 Lynn Rd.
Raleigh NC 27609
919-232-9222 office
919-781-7445 fax
http://www.oakcityproperties.com
Fire them! If they are not doing their jobs, find someone who will.