Rentals in North Park>Question Details

Jazmintn, Renter in San Diego, CA

What process do we need to follow when renting an apartment or owning a house for the first time?

Asked by Jazmintn, San Diego, CA Fri Apr 27, 2012

My fiancee and I are looking for our first place together in the North Park, Mission Valley area, but we have concerns when it comes to our "rental history or approved credit" since we both have been living with our families and have never rented on our own. We also have a medium size dog (she's a 3 year old female pitbull mix, spayed and house trained) have had her since she was 6 weeks old, and due to breed or weight restrictions we haven't been able to find the right place. We are in desperate need for help in finding a place and we are also interested in the possibilities of buying and owning. We would appreciate all the time given to this matter and look forward to a response and advice. Thank You!

Answers

8
Cory La Scala’s answer
Hi Jazmin,

Renting or buying may become an issue when you don't have enough credit, but renting could be faster while you're looking. If you're not qualified to buy yet, you can have a place of your own while you work on it, and paying rent on time will help.

With renting, you just need someone to take a chance. Show landlords and property managers that you and your fiance have a stable work history, and other bills you have paid on time, like a cell phone or car payment, for example. If you've paid your parents rent, show your canceled checks. Then offer to meet them in person and bring your dog, so they can see how sweet she is. If they see she isn't like a stereotypical pit bull, they may take a chance.

As for buying, I can send you a lender or two to talk to. They can see if you'd qualify for anything now, and you'll never know until you talk to a lender. Be prepared to give them ALL of the paperwork that they ask for. It's a hassle, but it's way better to be prepared ahead of time, because surprises are rarely good in escrow and could cost you money.

Let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Warm Regards,

Cory La Scala, REALTOR
Independence Realty
619-825-6421
Absolutely there is someone that can help. You need FBS. Rentals are what we do. Rentals are all we do. Rentals are who we are in San Diego for more than 4 decades. We currently operate rental properties in 69 zip codes throughout the region. We have become the best center for resources essential to renters by choice as well as independent rental owners. We bring industry Best Practices to both. I appreciate the nearly 12,000 Trulia visitors that keep up with my profile as well as the 85,000 that follow Neil Fjellestad's blog. However, my perspective is only one thing that makes FBS the industry leader it is. Our unsurpassed team, our systematic approach to leasing & rendering service to our renters, our daily incorporating technologies that others are just talking about are all reasons for our leadership. But our leadership only matters when it matters to you. First, visit our educational blog website http://www.RentSenseBlog.com Then it is on to our virtual office (we have a full site and a mobile site for those that visit from a smart phone or pad) http://www.fbs-pm.com to understand how easy we are to work with by giving you a place to view available rental homes; apply on line; pay rent online and communicate maintenance concerns. Finally, contact one of our Rental Centers. For rental homes located north of 52 we have a North County Office. 858-487-4004. For the homes south of 52 there is our Metro Office 619-286-7600.

I don't want you think that your circumstances are not a problem because dog breed restrictions do exist and your lack of rental history makes it tougher. However, you can benefit from some research and straight talk about some alternatives. Good luck.
Hi Jazmin,

In today's market, a mortgage payment is oftentimes lower than a rental payment. I'd like to talk to you more about your situation to see how I can help. I help both buyers and tenants and can help you which ever way you decide to go.

I understand that you are worried about your credit. I know a great company that has helped assist many of my clients get their credit scores up fast.

Let me know if I can help!

Richelle Szczygiel
619-200-5545
BRE #01447519
Let me introduce myself (Neil) and our company FBS Property Management. We consider potential renters as preferred customers and we represent responsible independent rental owners that have discovered the wisdom of turning their properties over to FBS "where your home matters" since 1972. Nobody knows more about what qualified residents want or how to deliver complete management at competitive rates. You can look at our available rentals (houses, condos and apartments) on our website. There are photos, map directions from wherever you need to be close to and many include video property tours on our you-tube channel FBS Properties. Go to http://www.fbs-pm.com to begin. You will be pleased to find that you can start online by having the most common renter questions answered, fill out your application, use your credit card to hold your choice and keep your transaction private and secure (all online and anytime). We also provide a separate site http://www.RentSenseBlog.com to educate yourself further. After you have become an FBS resident you will be assigned a secure place on our site to pay your rent and communicate with us on concerns and service requests. Please don't think that you will only be helped online. We have the BEST people that want to walk through the properties of your choice, help you with application concerns and thoroughly explain your lease in detail. Your move-in is a hands-on process as well. We have renters that have been with FBS for years (even decades) though they have moved from one FBS property to another as their financial and/or lifestyle requirements have changed. Their need for preferred customer service remains constant. I hope this helps. Please let me know how we do.
Renting and owning are two separate processes, and honestly, renting is the shorter, easier, process. I understand that a dog makes things more complicated but that would be true with a home purchase, as well.

Depending upon you price range, it sounds like a small, craftsman home is your best option - to live or to rent. They are abundant in the North Park and Normal Heights Communities.

As far as a possible purchase, I strongly urge you to speak with a reputable loan officer (if you havn't already) so that you can determine whether owning is even an option.

As far as rentals go, I think the best bet for finding homes is Craigslist.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Good question Jazmintn,
If you buy a home it would be simpler, most homes in that area do not have restrictions, with condos and rentals however, the owner or homeowner's association do, The best thing is to start by getting you pre-approved with a lender so you know what is your purchasing power.
Once you know how much you can afford, it is easier to look for a home. Homeownership has many advantages over renting:
1. You can build equity, 2. Most of your payment can be tax deductible (consult your tax advisor), 3. Great investment for your retirement, etc.

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
2240 Otay Lakes Rd. #306
Chula Vista, Ca 91913
hectorgastelum@yaho..com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Dear Jazmintn,

If you are looking to purchase, you need to talk to a lender to get pre-qualified. There are many programs available for first time home buyers that require little down payment.

Many lenders or landlords accept cancelled checks for rent payment even though it is paid to your parents. The weight and breed of your dog can be an issue with some landlords and HOA rules and regulations which requires looking a bit harder to find a property.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions

Silva Salehi
Broker Associate/Realtor
Market Realty
858-395-5791 Cell
858-485-9726 Fax
Visit me at:
SilvaSellsSandiego.com
DRE Lic# 01346232
Dear Jazmintn,

You can purchase a property with as little as 3.5% down with FHA finacing. If you do have some savings, then the first step is to hook up with a Realtor that can put you in touch with a good reputable lender to guide you through the financial end. Once you've established what you qualify for then you and your Realtor can sit down and discuss what you can purchase for your money.

If you don't already have a realationship with a Realtor, then feel free to call me and I will be happy to work with you.

Thanks for your time and good luck.
Denise Gleavey
Coldwell Banker
DRE #00999259
858-565-7777
Denise@IHandleRE4U.com
http://WWW.IHandleRE4U.com
Serving Buyers and Sellers since 1988