Rentals in Greenwich Village>Question Details

Peter Dettma…, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

What kind of paperwork should I have regarding a guarantor when I go to meet brokers and landlords?

Asked by Peter Dettmann, Brooklyn, NY Tue Jul 3, 2012

My girlfriend and I are currently looking for a small apartment in Manhattan for a year. I have a relative willing to stand as guarantor for us, but I'm not sure what kind of paperwork I should obtain and bring with me when meeting brokers and landlords. Any advice?

Answers

7
Core Homes And Properties’ answer
It all varies from landlord to landlord, it is always better to ask your agent prior to the showing and carry it when you go to see a place so that you can apply rightaway after you like the place.
Good Luck with your search.
Hi Peter,
You should have paperwork ready to make sure you can submit an application as quickly as possible on a place you like. The summer rental market is always competitve, so if you have the paperwork, you'll be ready to apply quickly. You do not need to give this paperwork to anyone until you are ready to apply.
Here's about what you'll need for yourself and a guarantor:
1) the guarantor needs to make 80 to 100 times the monthly rent.
2) first two pages of 2011 tax returns
3) 2- 3 recent paystubs
4) checking and savings statements
5) letter of employment stating how long you (or your guarantor) has worked at the company, position, and salary.
6) for you, you'll need a letter from your landlord stating how much rent you paid, how long you were there, and that you were a great tenant.

Also, if the guarantor is self-employeed, the requirements are a bit different.

Some landlords require more information, some less. However, if you have this information ready to go when you're looking for an apartment, you're more likely to get the apartment you want!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, and good luck!

Nissa Kochmer
Citi Habitats
347.344.8307
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 3, 2012
Depending upon the building, your income requirements from the guarantor to get approved will be 80/90x the monthly rent in income:

- Employment letter on company letterhead stating your annual income
- Most recently filed income tax return (1st two pages)
- CPA letter stating your annual income
- Landlord reference letter (case by case)
- 3 most recent pay stubs
- 3 most recent bank statements
- Copy of government issued ID

Bank Information
Regardless of your income, all landlords will ask to see at least your most recent bank statement. An online version or a hard copy must show your banks name, your current balance, your name, your account number and a statement date.

Photo Identification
All buildings require a copy of government issued photo ID to verify your identity. Additionally, some buildings will require a copy of your social security card.

Application Fee
This is a processing fee charged by the landlord and is usually between $50 to $150. Ask your broker for the exact fee and payment options.

Moving forward after all documentation is submitted, an approval will be received within 24 to 48 hours. Following this you will be required to sign leases within 48 hours of an approval. To prepare for this you should make sure the proper funds are available. Normally first months, last months, security and brokers fee.
Before you start looking - pay attentiont to what was said below by Nissa, and make sure the guarantor has a sufficient income to qualify - while it might vary depending on the landlord, 80 times the rent is a pretty typical requirement.

Tenants are usually required to show 40 times the rent as income,

Best wishes.......
If you don't have an agent of your own, consider the idea; he/she will best guide you as it relates to the specific property, necessary paperwork, etc.
Hi Peter,

With the rental market moving so quickly, it helps to be prepared with the tenants' and guarantor(s) paperwork. Depending on the unit, owner, or building, they each may require different forms. We typically recommend to have ready the following documents: recent pay stubs, letter of employment with salary information, a copy of ID, recent bank statements and recent tax returns.

You probably don't need this when meeting brokers and landlords unless you want to apply on the spot, which could be necessary if you don't want to risk losing an amazing apartment to a more prepared tenant who submits the application before you. Otherwise, when you find the place you want, you can apply to that apartment and your agent, or the listing broker will clarify exactly what's needed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions and if I can be of anymore assistance.

AJ
You shouldn't need anything until you apply for the apartment. You can tell the agent that you have a guarantor if you want, but they shouldn't need anything beyond that until you find the place you want.