Rentals in Oceanside>Question Details

Kim sellers, Renter in Oceanside, CA

What is the going price for a 3 bed 1 3/4 bath in the 92054 area?

Asked by Kim sellers, Oceanside, CA Mon Mar 12, 2012

My husband and I have been renting a house for 3 years at 1600 with a month to month lease, the land lord has been responsible for water waste and sewage. The house was built in the 70s and has been renovated very little. We received a notice this week that the land lord now wants a year lease, a 50$ increase in the rent and for us to pay the utilities. This effectively constitutions a 200$ increase in what we pay . When I contacted the property manager I was told that it was what the market was at and the owner wanted all his properties at market. We were told when the property managers took charge of the account that our home needed allot of work and at its current condition we shouldn't have been paying 1600. The tile work in the kitchen is cracked and missing grout, the bathtub is pitted and cracking, molding along the wall in both bathrooms is warped and molding. In short the house needs a lot of work but we have been there 3 years. We are a military family.

Answers

8
VA loan on $275K at the current 3.75% would have a monthly payment of $1585. That includes the pricipal and interest, insurance, and taxes. If you're facing rent options upwards of $1800, then a purchase scenario will likely save you some money. The tax write-off helps wash out the additional cost of maintaining your own home. Even if you get deployed somewhere else in the future, the 6-8% you'd pay to have a professional management company oversee the property as a rental would still net you a positive cash flow. It's a great time to be a landlord.
Web Reference: http://inlandfinancial.net
Because rents are rising you should definitely be thinking about your options. Please give us a call. I'm sure we can do much better than where you are and what you're dealing with. That's tantamount to landlord abuse and you shouldn't have to take it. You can call me anytime at 760 815-6977. We're a RE broker and property management company.
Hi Silverlioness,
I agree with what has been said below. As a real estate broker and property manager based in Oceanside, I can say that rents are most definitely going up. 92054 is a large area, so it is hard to say exactly what market rent is for your home, but chances are $1650 is a good deal. The fact that your landlord was paying water/sewer/trash was also a bonus. I think your options are as follows:
1) Move to another rental- Probably just as expensive, probably more
2) Stay in your Current Rental- although I would try negotiating with the property management company to make you signing the lease contingent upon them making the repairs you want. It's going to cost them money to get a new tenant and they are probably going to need to make those repairs to make it nice enough to rent, so chances are, they will be willing to do the repairs to keep a happy, steady tenant.
3) Buy- prices are low, rates are low and VA does have some amazing 0% down programs.

Feel free to contact me directly. I am always available to help.

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister
McAllister Homes Real Estate and Property Management
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
It is true that rent rates are going up and rental inventory appears to be low. What is your market rent depends on condition, size, location, and number of bedrooms. 92054 has a wide variety of neighborhoods where rental rates would vary significantly. Since you will only be staying another year, moving to save $200 a month may not make sense. But you do have a right to live in habitable conditions. The California Department of Consumer Affairs provides this information you may find useful: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/problems.shtml
Also, I am not a big fan of Zillow estimates for property values, but I have found it handy for rental rates since we can't get much from our MLS. So go to http://www.zillow.com and put in your property address to get a ballpark of today's rental rate. You can also see a graph showing how rates have gone up for the past two years(since they started keeping track of rentals).
In the 92054 area code - especially in the areas west of 5, competition id fierce. At 1600 to 1800 a month, it will be difficult to find a home in good condition in a decent location. I just rented a 3 bed 1 bath for 2300 a month ago - and the calls kept coming (92054 west of 5). As one of the professionals here said already; "rents are going up [almost everywhere]." I even have some landlords requiring that the monthly and annual rate will adjust according to inflation. If you are in any position to consider a purchase, this is a good time. Call any one of the professionals trying to answer this question for you and find out what they have to say.
Web Reference: http://www.beachside360.com
Thank you both, we have talked about buying but my husband has less than a year on his contract and then we will be moving to TN. We may be gone sooner than that if the military lets him out early. Our concern is that the house does not meet code and getting repairs done by the PM is like pulling teeth

I did a quick search of the MLS in your area and I found there are 10 homes listed. The lowest priced home was $250,000 and the highest price was almost 4 million. If you would like to send me an email I would be more then happy to answer any questions you may have.

Daniel Harms
Tarbell, Realtors
(951) 951-232-5382
dharms@tarbell.com
Web Reference: http://www.danieleharms.com
Unfortunately rents have been going up. The rents are determined by local market conditions, and even neighborhood market conditions. If you have been paying $1600 and now will be paying up to $1800, you really should consider a purchase, especially if you are a military family. There are wonderful VA loans available to you; and as such your mortgage payment can actually be lower than your rent. I cannot give you an exact estimate of what is a fair rental for your particular property, unless I know more. Please feel free to contact me to discuss your housing options.

best,

Joseph Covarrubias
REALTOR®
CA DRE LIC# 01756579
ReEbroker, Inc
760-295-9023
Web Reference: http://www.myREoffers.com