Rentals in Montgomery>Question Details

Deborah Klein, Renter in Montgomery, AL

What is the difference between an Agent and a Broker? Also, how do I find someone who represents renters, not owners?

Asked by Deborah Klein, Montgomery, AL Fri Jul 1, 2011

I have heard that some agents primarily represent owners, while other agents primarily represent customers. If this is true, how do I find the latter?

Also, how do I understand the self-labeling on the "Pro" list: Agent, Broker, Real Estate Pro . . . ?

Help the community by answering this question:


Voices Member’s answer

Good question! You have received good answers thus far . . . but let's make it simple. You the "Customer" are in the beginning stages of either finding a home or wanting to sell . . . Your first step is to interview with 2, 3, 4, or how many real estate professionals it takes until you feel not only comfortable with that person but having communication with them. If you cannot have good communication you ready do not have anything.
Now, if you wish to remain a "Customer" and not have representation by an Agent or Broker, that's your choice. But, if you want the Agent or Broker to become your Agent of Choice and "Represent" You, then you'll be required to sign an agreement with that Agent or Broker signifying such.
I have a pdf file which explains the different ways Realtors(R) in Alabama works with and/or represents people, it's usually called RECAD, but the title is: Real Estate Consumers Agency and Disclosure Act. This may sound somewhat complicated, but it's really the opposite, and you will have good understanding after reading the explanation. Go to http://www.RonSellsAlabama.Com look under Helpful Information (found on the right side of the page) click on "Real_Estate Glossary," and you'll find hi-lighted with Red-Stars, "In Alabama all Real Estate practitioners abide by and work under the "Real Estate Consumers Agency and Disclosure Act, commonly known as; "RECAD." Click on the link provided. Have more questions, please do not hesitate calling or emailing me and I will be happy to answer your questions.
Ron's direct number: 334.546-14110 or e-Address: Ron@RonSellsAlabama.Com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 3, 2011
In real estate, there are two different licenses. One is a broker and the other is a salesperson (often referred to as an agent). A salesperson license is limited to only doing business as a representative of a broker, while a broker may be in business for themself. Many agents get their broker's license but continue to work for a larger company instead on being in business for themself. While a broker's license does require a second level of training and a minimum amount of time as an agent, it does not necessarily make a broker more experienced or more knowledgeable than some agents.

Agents can represent either owners or renters, and many agents will represent both. If you are looking for an agent to represent you as a renter, you can post a request here and someone will surely offer their services.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 1, 2011
"All real estate pro's" will list all categories below it: Agent, Broker, Mortgage Broker or Lender, Appraiser, Home Inspector, Contractor, Builder/Developer, Stager, Property Manager, Landlord, Other Pro, but will not list "All members".

An "Agent" is someone who is licensed to practice real estate, and they usually work for a "Broker".

The other categories are probably pretty self-explanatory, but speak up if you need further clarification.

Someone who has the orange "Pro" logo next to them means they pay a fee to Trulia for extra features/listings, etc. and it gives the person better "visibility" to consumers like yourself who are here looking for advice/input/referrals to real estate professionals. has those details.

I am not quite sure what you mean on the representing "owners" vs. representing "customers". If you are asking if there are real estate agents that specialize in helping buyer's, then certainly there are, as there are also real estate agents who specialize with listing homes for a seller. Some agents can be great at both. But both buyers & sellers are a real estate agents "customer", or "client" as we like to call them.

As far as finding a real estate agent who works with buyers, you can search for "Buyer's Agents" in Montgomery, or you can just ask any agent if they work with buyers. If I was going to utilize the "Find a Pro" feature here I would view as many profiles of professionals you like, as most have written blog entries, have various listings, and a resume, that way you can get a sense of who they are before you give them a ring.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 1, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer